What are the signs of a failing TC?

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
As the topic says. I've started to notice some odd transmission actions and thing the TC is about to take a hike.
shrug.gif

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Tony, it's kind of hard to discribe. When it's time to shift,(mainly 2-3) it feels like it's hanging up beween gears, not slipping per say, But simular to a Windows PC that is trying to process the latest command you called for. Like it's not sure whether it wants stay in 2nd or shift to 3rd. Does this make any sence?

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar symptoms with mine for years. Then it would skip a gear and be bogged down. Don't know what the problem was, dealer couldn't figure it out either. Did it for about 4 years or more. Just had my whole tranny redone thinking it was a TC also. Ended up being just about everything but that had to be rebuilt. Got a new TC in just in case along with the rebuild.
So I'm not sure you're looking at a new TC maybe just need some valve work. Take it to a good shop and let them test it out.

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony, it's kind of hard to discribe. When it's time to shift,(mainly 2-3) it feels like it's hanging up beween gears, not slipping per say, But simular to a Windows PC that is trying to process the latest command you called for. Like it's not sure whether it wants stay in 2nd or shift to 3rd. Does this make any sence?

Doesn't sound like the converter, sounds like 3rd is slipping. Put a t/c lockup switch on it and you will know for sure.

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I've been wanting to add the lock up switch, so I guess there's no better time than now. BTW The last time I talked to you, you were tring out a new TC. Have you come to any conclusions?

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ,

I am experiencing the exact same thing you are! From gears 2 to 3. Let me know what you find out!

Tony,

If 3rd gear is slipping, what is the fix? New Tranny?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58