Question What Changes Were Made In Mid Year 99's???

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that there were changes (improvements) made in the middle of the year on the '99 Super Duty diesels. I don't remember if it was on this forum or a different one where I found it. I was just wondering what those changes were again, how do you tell which one you have, and are the changes really that big of a deal to persuade you from buying one over the other?

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Turbo, intake, intake runners, windshield seals, HPOP, fender badge...

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
brake rotors and calipers
at a different split than the engine improvements..
engine was Dec '98/Jan '99
brake split was Feb '99/Mar '99

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Turbo, intake, intake runners, windshield seals, HPOP, fender badge...

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

The magic date was about Dec 7, 1998 give or take a day or two.

Fender badge is a popular misconception, that didn't change. I've got the truck to prove it.

Injectors changed, went from AB's in the early 99, to AD's in the 99.5's. IAH's were added too. PCM's were changed along with the tuning.

brake rotors and calipers
at a different split than the engine improvements..
engine was Dec '98/Jan '99
brake split was Feb '99/Mar '99

Along with the front brakes & rotors that changed with the addition of front ABS, the front sway bar size and track bar changed.

Last edited:

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'99 Power Stroke

So if it has 4 wheel ABS, does that mean it has the upgraded rotors and calipers? For the diesel newbie, is there an easy way to tell the difference between the truck that has the changes and doesn't (take into account that I'm not used to looking at either model)? I just want to know what I'm looking at when I start truck shopping. I've found a couple of 99's but I was wondering if I should shy away from a '99 and go with at least a 2000 or newer that I know should have all the changes (or are they not that big of a deal)?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
So if it has 4 wheel ABS, does that mean it has the upgraded rotors and calipers? For the diesel newbie, is there an easy way to tell the difference between the truck that has the changes and doesn't (take into account that I'm not used to looking at either model)? I just want to know what I'm looking at when I start truck shopping. I've found a couple of 99's but I was wondering if I should shy away from a '99 and go with at least a 2000 or newer that I know should have all the changes (or are they not that big of a deal)?

IIRC, when they added front ABS to the rear ABS on early 99's, an "exciter ring" was added to the front hubs. It is the exciter ring movement that the ABS sensor dectects when the wheel is turning.
You can see it between the inner & outer bearings in this picture of a desected front hub bearing. It's the shiney thing in the middle.

When they added the exciter ring to the hub bearing, it moved everything outward about 1/8" (the width of the ring). But since the hub now stuck out further, the brake rotor no longer lined up with the caliper. So with the newer "ABS" hubs, along came a different brake rotor which too was about 1/8" different so it would again line up with the center of the caliper.

I don't know if front ABS became standard on 99.5 trucks, but the new hubs & rotors did.

The calipers are supposedly the same. Just the hubs & rotors changed.

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
The Date on my truck is 08/98 and this is what the Fender badge looks like. Im not sure when or why they changed but I know that they did sometime after that date.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The Date on my truck is 08/98 and this is what the Fender badge looks like. Im not sure when or why they changed but I know that they did sometime after that date.

Mine is an early 99 built in 11/98. As you can see, I have the badge on the door.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score

Derrick, what are the last 8 digits of your VIN?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58