What clutch for Beans stage I

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I think it may be time for a set of Beans stage I injectors.

What clutch do you think it would take to withstand them? The con O is good for 350hp and the con OFE is good for 400hp. The stage I are capable of 350+ hp but I doubt I will hit 350 since I am not upgrading my HPOP or fuel system until it fails. I am thinking that the con O would do the trick. What do y'all think?

Max Power

Reaction score
Remember, HP is addictive and it is cheaper to overbuild the first time then to build it twice. Chances are you will want more power down the road and you will be glad you overbuilt it the first time around.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the OFE clutch simply because you don't want to be toasting that clutch when you do upgrade the fuel & oil systems and more than likely you're still running on your factory clutch and I'd be willing to guess that at the rate you're stacking miles on your truck that you'll be looking for more power long before you wear out the clutch and it'd just plain suck to have to pull out an almost new clutch or risk toasting it when you get happy with the smoke pedal

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
BJS said:
at the rate you're stacking miles on your truck
Yeah the 6400 miles a year I put on the truck is really racking them up :roflmao

The con o is $650 and the ofe is $900. $250 seems like a quite a bit for only 50hp worth of clutch. It has taken me nine years to get to the point of getting a set of injectors. I ran stock for a couple of years then installed a U.S. gear chip for about four years then ran a SCMT for a year and then upgraded to the current chip I have(programmed by Bill). I just don't think I will be upgrading any farther for several years. Is the OFE really worth $250 more? Is the OFE grabby? I want a smooth clutch. How does drive-ability compare between the two?

swh22

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've never driven a con-O, but the ofe is great. I feel like I am posting this all the time over at TDS, but it drives as smooth or better than a stock clutch and I would really recommend it for anyone. Definitely less effort, not grabby at all. So if it's worth the 250 extra, I don't know, but the driveability question shouldn't enter into the equation, just what your future plans and desired "safety factor" are :sweet

Crumm said:
Is the OFE really worth $250 more? Is the OFE grabby? I want a smooth clutch. How does drive-ability compare between the two?

Steve

CLR95

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm Runnin the Con O and wish I would have went with the OFE but the Con O has held up real nice to what has been thrown at it. Now in about three to four weeks down the road I am not too sure how good it will hold up :D . SBC seem to be nice but the Kevlar bushing doesn't hold up worth a crap just to give ya a heads up on that. I am almost positive mine is gone but thats alright DD here we come... we actually put a Carolina clutch in a 6spd rated at the 450 mark and he is runnin stage II's and a fuel system and turbo and it is holdin up real nice and that truck gets some serious miles put on it haulin horses so thats something else to think about

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Not for me, I am in full control :roflmao

:D That is what I thought too Crumm.

After I installed my stage 1's and the 6 pos chip, It is more tempting then you think! I haven't torn anything up yet, but haven't gone past tow either. :thumbs The power is great, especially when some stupid mustang is trying to cut you off. :roflmao Should have seen his face :roflmao

Trying to get the money you for a BUILT trany so I can test that 350HP. :sweet

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I have no complaints with my OFE for my 6spd! :sweet Not sure on the OBS trucks but I thought I read they are good for 450hp. :dunno

The clutch is great! Barks them at the track during upshifts, even going into fourth. :thumbs Almost 3 months and 10,000 miles later it will bark them even when you back it down after 2nd gear 3,000 rpm blast. I almost forgot, there's around 60 trips down the quarter on the clutch. Towing is smooth! Heaviest it's seen is around 9k, next week we'll see when I'll probably put close to 12k. :eek:

Go with the OFE.

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
I have a Con O with about 35k on it and run about 50+k a year with a constant weight of 8k
plus the occasional 10k on a trailer.
It still feels as good as the day I put it in :D

The orig POS -mad DMFW crapped the bed{and cracked the case :cussing: }
around 170k right after a couple pulls :thumbs {35k sled best was 266ft}

One thing to consider is the obvious torque increases with the hotter injectors/chip programs.
If memory serves , the listed max torque limit on the ZF is around 725 ft lbs+/_.

Altho I haven't heard of any input shaft failures....I would like to see a shaft that has endured that kind of torque.......................

Just a couple pennies........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl