What do I need 350, 450 or 550????

imbilljr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a classic car business and I currently use a 99 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 4X4 Diesel Dually to pull my 53' 4 car ramp trailer coast to coast. I am concerned that when loaded I am overweight. I don't want to have to unload cars at some Colorado weigh station and leave them there as well as pay a stiff fine. The specifics are as follows: The F-350 has a tag in the door jam that reads GVWR 11,500 and the rear axle is around 8500lbs. The trailer is rated for 20,000. I can't find a rating for a CGVWR on this truck. The last trip I made from MN to Nashville I scaled at 28,820 and there was 10920 on my rear axle and 12920 on the trailer axles. According to the door tag I was overloaded on the rear axle but was I o.k. on CGVWR? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the people I have asked incl. the local D.O.T. inspector.

One person said to just add the Truck door tag and the trailer tag together and that is what I can tow legaly keeping in mind rear axle rating.

The D.O.T. guy said they mainly focus on tire rating and if my tires are rated for the weight on the axles i will be o.k.

I am confused. Do I need a heavier truck or just make sure my axle isn't overloaded. (which will probably mean i need a heavier truck.)

Here is the kicker on my delima. On the return trip from Nashville I was loaded with a 59 lincoln convert. a 63 lincoln convert. and a 57 chevy 4 door wagon. I tipped the scales at just under 33,000lbs. Again, I wasn't over the 20K on the trailer but I was definately over everything the truck had to offer.

I am convinced I need a bigger truck but which one. Will an 05 F450 do the job? Or do I need to step up to an 08 F-450? What should I consider for engines? I have heard the 6.0 is junk and I'm not sure the 6.4 has enough use to know yet. I need to do something fairly soon so I would appreciate anyones advice.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not go on up to a F-650 and be done with it.
The F-650 should pay for it's self in fuel saving alone, with longer tire life and bigger brakes.
If you look around you can find one that is a year or so old and save a lot of money on getting it.
Find one with the 8.3 Cummins or the 7.2 Cat

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I have always been of the opinion that 4 cars on a wedge trailer was way to much over time on a DRW F350 frame and suspension.

Plus, your wedge could handle it better if it had 3 axles instead of 2, just my opinion tho.

go for the bigger truck, F650 would do you right, just like WD said.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not go on up to a F-650 and be done with it.
The F-650 should pay for it's self in fuel saving alone, with longer tire life and bigger brakes.
If you look around you can find one that is a year or so old and save a lot of money on getting it.
Find one with the 8.3 Cummins or the 7.2 Cat

X's 2.

You might give some thought to the fact that if yer guna be haul'n that OLDER Detroit Iron (Heavvyy) around, you may as well get a tow vehicle that's Fer Sure able to do ANY task you ask of it. Specification, Capability and Legality wise.

(recently went thru the same DMV, DPS Hoops with CDL issues.. It's a shame we/you can't get straight equipment and licensing answers. Seems like they make it up, as they go along... In Caly anyway.)

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
X's 2.

You might give some thought to the fact that if yer guna be haul'n that OLDER Detroit Iron (Heavvyy) around, you may as well get a tow vehicle that's Fer Sure able to do ANY task you ask of it. Specification, Capability and Legality wise.

(recently went thru the same DMV, DPS Hoops with CDL issues.. It's a shame we/you can't get straight equipment and licensing answers. Seems like they make it up, as they go along... In Caly anyway.)

x3

f650 supercrewzer

those babies were the bomb, some upfitters are doing em with excellent tow beds

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this should do you just fine....

Volvo 770 Toterhome Conversion

770_Toter_5er_2bikes_.jpg

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of F-650 I was thinking about.
Click here: eBay Motors: Ford F650 XLT Crew Cab Pro Loader Hauler Bed Gooseneck (item 370038533255 end time Apr-22-08 06:32:30
One of the mods can make this a link.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14