What do I need 350, 450 or 550????

Reaction score
I may be mistaken but PBR Knows a guy who is an expert on raising carrying capacity by puttin on bigger tires. I'm sure he can point you in the direction of him for some consultation. :roflmao

imbilljr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. I can add these details to my questions. I just sold a Sterling Acterra that I used to pull the trailer for these simple reasons.

1. IFTA, fuel taxes when going cross country. It's a real hassle and I don't seem to have any problems with that with a smaller truck
2. Horribly rough ride with spring suspension. I know I can go air but there is considerable cost to convert.
3. No affordable 4X4 option which is very necessary and useful in MN
4. Single use; It sat in the yard until a trip which is typically 4-6 times a year. So double insurance, double truck payments.
5. Couldn't use to plow my parking lot, driveway ect. because 2wd sucks.

These reasons also apply to an F650. If a F-450 4X4 Crew Cab is adequate and legal to do what need to do I can use it as a daily driver, plow truck, tow vehicle and have only one truck/insurance payment.

I would like to know if anyone has the answers to my basic questions. How can I assertain what is the legal CGVWR for these particular trucks? I did notice on E-bay the rear axle weight rating on an 08 f-450 was 9500lbs. The scale card I referenced put 10920 on the rear axle of my F350. So then would I still be overweight on the 450? Is it necessary to step up to the 08 or can I squeek by with the 05?

By the way about the two axle trailer... the axles are rated for 10k. apiece and use semi truck tires instead of 1 ton truck tires/wheels. They are way longer lasting and more stable than the truck tires. There are only 4 of them too instead of 6. which equals less cost when time to replace tires. One last thing. Have you ever seen a three axle trailer with truck wheels/tires take a sharp turn in a parking lot for example? It is nearly scary how the tires fold over and talk about tire scrub. With my trailer the tires obviously do slide in a sharp turn but there is no sidewall deflection and no flat spots. I wouldn't go back to a three axle for anything.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14