What do I need to upgrade to a 6.0 tranny cooler?

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know the 6.0 cooler has 1/2 barbs. What do I need to match up to the existing line on a '97? I've also heard it's possible to upgrade to the 3/8 hard lines from a SD. Anybody?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the shortest and easiest way is simply some hose barbs you'll need a small section of both hoses but it works well. like these from McMaster

I can't say that getting the lines in from a SD would be easy and you're likely to have to modify them a bit to get them to fit just right not to mention then you'll need adapters @ the transmission end.

The 6.0 Cooler unless you already have one is rather expensive and is attractive to the SD crowd because it is bolt in, usually for the OBS trucks we buy generic coolers and build out own brackets because it usually ends up notably cheaper than the 6.0 cooler and building brackets too.

Some options to consider are Tru-Cool 4590 or Tru-Cool Max With out or With external temperature bypass to allow trans to warm up if in extremely cold environment.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my Tru Cool Max, I had to adapt to the 5/16" lines at (near) the tranny. I have not been able to find the correct 3/8" adapters for the E4OD. I've never been able to find out if the SD tranny adapters would fit or not. The E4OD ports are kind of small and the return line adapter has a built-in check valve in it (which I'm guessing would be needed to prevent drain-back). Cheers!

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the shortest and easiest way is simply some hose barbs you'll need a small section of both hoses but it works well. like these from McMaster

I can't say that getting the lines in from a SD would be easy and you're likely to have to modify them a bit to get them to fit just right not to mention then you'll need adapters @ the transmission end.

The 6.0 Cooler unless you already have one is rather expensive and is attractive to the SD crowd because it is bolt in, usually for the OBS trucks we buy generic coolers and build out own brackets because it usually ends up notably cheaper than the 6.0 cooler and building brackets too.

Some options to consider are Tru-Cool 4590 or Tru-Cool Max With out or With external temperature bypass to allow trans to warm up if in extremely cold environment.
I already have the 6.0 tranny cooler. Got it for a song & its brand new. Actually I've been sitting on it for close to a year now. I guess barbs & clamps up to the bigger hose is the way I'll go then. Thanks guys

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14