What do you pay per KWH

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
.08 / KWH.

I have a high efficiency heat pump with a heat recovery unit attached to my water heater. The hot return refrigerant is sent to a box next to the outdoor unit. The box has a pump that pulls water from the water heater through the box, and a heat exchanger takes the heat from the refrigerant and heats the water. The pump then returns it to the water heater.

The result is that I do not have to pay for heated water from April to October, as the system keeps the water in the water heater hot enough to keep the thermostat from tripping.

With daytime temperature approaching 100 degrees, my electricity bill still never breaks $300 a month. I run a swimming pool pump that runs 18 hours a day during the summer, and it barely makes a blip on the bill.

One more thing, the electricity is provided by a co-op. The neighbors down the street are served by an investor owned utility. Their bills are 20 percent higher.

Like the real estate agent says, location, location, location.

bgirls

lacky
Reaction score
recieved my bill today, allegheny power bills on a 2 month cycle. this bill is for 59 days. total bill 184.41 divided by KWH of 2543 = .0725 per KWH
184.41 includes elec supply, distribution service, level purchase power rate, sale and use surcharge, consumption tax and local tax. my house is completely electric.

dpantazis

Reaction score

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
crumm-
with 5 people in the house i think that your 40 gallon heater is undersized.
The boiler will produce 195 gallons per hour. A 40 gallon electric hot water heater would be undersized as they will only produce 20.7 gallons per hour. With 195 gallons per hour it is about impossible to run out. 3.25 gallons of 140º water per minute is a quite a bit then add in the 40 gallon reserve.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a few minutes. The system will produce 195 gallons of hot water per hour so to heat up the 40 gallon tank it should take around 12 minutes. During this 12 minutes the boiler would not be running over 4 minutes as it heats to 170º in less than a minute then the hot glycol circulates into the indirect water heater until the glycol falls to a temp of 158º then the boiler fires again. When the boiler is running it has a burn rate of 1gph so 4 minutes would be .065 gallons or $.26 at $4.00 a gallon. At this rate it is costing me $.0065 per gallon.

Daily use
5 showers = 60 gallons
2 load laundry = 64 gallons
dishwasher 10 gallons
personal(hands ext) 10 gallons
Total = 144 gallons = $.93 a day = $28 a month.

During the winter this is reduced as the boiler is already up to temp heating the house.

How much $ would it cost to heat 40 gallons with electricity at a rate of $.203 per kwh? or to heat 4320 gallons a month?

We are all electric, and our summer bills are $350 or less per month, so we are happy with that. Most of our usage is for the A/C. and watering the lawn.
You could buy a tankless water heater, that comes on only when you need the hot water.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
The boiler will produce 195 gallons per hour. A 40 gallon electric hot water heater would be undersized as they will only produce 20.7 gallons per hour. With 195 gallons per hour it is about impossible to run out. 3.25 gallons of 140º water per minute is a quite a bit then add in the 40 gallon reserve.

What about an electric on demand water heater?
Or better yet the propane model?
Pricey heaters but the energy savings add up VERY quickly.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
crumm-
with 5 people in the house i think that your 40 gallon heater is undersized.

dennis

with 5 people in the house, I think the water heater is the perfect size to keep people from "camping out" in the shower....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58