What do you think it is

Tcat

Tcat-F350
Reaction score
I Was coming up a on ramp and my 99 1/2 F350 decided to miss a couple of times. It has happened a few times in the past. Does this sound like a CPS problem. or due you think it has something to do with my tunner. It is an Edge controller.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Could be a CPS. What do you mean by miss? A quick hiccup or like you shut the key off for a few seconds?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Someone will chime in with a better idea than me but from what I understand the CPS will cause it to cut-out for a second or more. I am thinking a quick hiccup is another problem but it is always a good idea to carry a spare CPS anyway.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I've had a couple other 7.3L's CPS' go on me in the past and they displayed the hiccup symptom that you're experiencing.

This past spring our Excursion did the same thing till it went cold turkey,luckily enough I had a spare CPS in the toolbox which got installed and the problem was solved.

If you have the original CPS on the engine to last 6-7 years you have a good one but cheap enough to replace when they go south :sweet

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd take a voltmeter or better yet a lab scope if you have access to one, and sweep the throttle position sensor...

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Tcat said:
I Was coming up a on ramp and my 99 1/2 F350 decided to miss a couple of times. It has happened a few times in the past. Does this sound like a CPS problem. or due you think it has something to do with my tunner. It is an Edge controller.

if I may
does it hiccup only under acceleration? or did you just notice more at that time.
does it do it at normal throttle at cruise speeds, with our without the cruise on
and lastly I know this will be terrible . but unload the edge abd run completely stock for a few days and see if it does it.

ours would got birp real fast, just enough to make the drivetrain jump, just like switching it off then back on real fast.

if its only during accelerations, then we may be looking at other helper causes

but i would lean and the side of the CPS,

Reaction score
Those were the symptons of my CPS going out (replaced it two weeks ago). It would hiccup sporadically....even died once while at a stop light. When it became more frequent I put in my new "spare" CPS. Have not had a reoccurence since.:sweet

Tcat

Tcat-F350
Reaction score
It happened when i was heading to Long Beach, Ca I just had stopped and filled up. I was up to speed and it seemed like it sputtered then about 10 min later it happened again. then it was fine till i was on my way back from LOng Beach . it did it again. nothing for two weeks then yesterday it happened when i was coming up a on ramp. . Idid notice that a sevice light would flash when it happened. I have put on a computer by it shows nothing. I guess it just flash. but does not set a code to find the problem.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
your scan tool may not read the Ford specific codes, only the generic ones... I'd try a different scanner, I know a hiccup in the CPS will set a code (it's constantly monitored)...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14