What does a slipping Auto Tranny feel like?

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does a slipping auto tranny feel like? I've just started to feel a slight shuddering to my tranny when in D or in R sometimes, when I'm completely stopped and pulling away slowly. I can also feel it sometimes when in R when I'm backing my boat down the ramp. It mainly happens right when I begin to move, but I've felt it also right before the tranny shifts from 1-2, also when pulling away slowly.

I have an SCT tuner, and this happened after I uploaded a custom economy tune about 2 weeks ago. I didn't rail on it though, drove the truck easy, nothing out of the ordinary. On thursday, I uploaded the performance tune just to try out, and again I did not rail on the truck, just wanted to see what the feel was. After that is when I noticed that I've got a pattern here. I just reloaded the stock tune a few minutes ago, and will check out the behavior tomorrow.

Just wondering what you all might think. I did check the tranny fluid and it is on the money.

Thanks.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
What does a slipping auto tranny feel like? I've just started to feel a slight shuddering to my tranny when in D or in R sometimes, when I'm completely stopped and pulling away slowly. I can also feel it sometimes when in R when I'm backing my boat down the ramp. It mainly happens right when I begin to move, but I've felt it also right before the tranny shifts from 1-2, also when pulling away slowly.

I have an SCT tuner, and this happened after I uploaded a custom economy tune about 2 weeks ago. I didn't rail on it though, drove the truck easy, nothing out of the ordinary. On thursday, I uploaded the performance tune just to try out, and again I did not rail on the truck, just wanted to see what the feel was. After that is when I noticed that I've got a pattern here. I just reloaded the stock tune a few minutes ago, and will check out the behavior tomorrow.

Just wondering what you all might think. I did check the tranny fluid and it is on the money.

Thanks.
now you're thinking like a technician. :sweet

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the SCT tune there a area for ajusting trans. press. I did mine at 5% and that was a big improvment. There at 0% sometimes so check it out. You can fine tune this and improve mileage. I had just done this before my truck got busted up.

Last edited:

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the SCT tune there a area for ajusting trans. press. I did mine at 5% and that was a big improvment. There at 0% sometimes so check it out. You can fine tune this and improve mileage. I had just done this before my truck got busted up.

I've seen that set of adjustments, just have never meseed with it. Thanks

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now you're thinking like a technician. :sweet

Yep. After putting it back at stock, I can still feel the shudder mostly when I'm in R. I can still feel it a little in D, same as before, just alot less. Maybe this has been going on before, I just never noticed.

This only happens when I'm starting off slow. If I try to powerbrake, or put the truck under more of a load, everything is fine. It's only when its under low power.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
how many miles on the transmission?

and when was the last time you changed the fluid & filter?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
if it still shudders, I'm thinking a call to BTS might be in order

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could do a drain & filter change, add a quart of Trans-X... see if that helps... if not.. a re-build with upgraded parts is probably in order. A BTS would be/is, the ultimate fix.

My .03 :dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58