What I should be doing.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of spending my days under a welding helmet I should be trying to start my own business in MY area to carry some the cool things we need to do mods on these PSD's. The closest shop that carries anything like the stuff I've been looking for is 100miles away. Everytime I call or check around for something for mods on my truck either nobody has it or it has to be ordered.:rant Oh yeah I'd have somebody to run the place for me on the weekend's and I'd have a dyno.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the economy is going great, your plan sounds great. You might want to think about it a bit, due to many people are only spending money on necessities right now. RV shops are closing, parts houses are feeling the slowdown etc. Many diesel truck owners are not only not spending money on their trucks, but driving them as least as possible because of the high prices of fuel.
Just something to take into consideration.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well not everybody has stopped buying stuff for mods for their trucks. Me especially! Heck in the last month or so I've dropped a couple grand probably (heck I know I've dropped at least 2) on various things from new tires all the way to some cool switches I found to run accessories off of instead of doing the upfitter switch thing. I guess you could say I'm keeping fed ex and ups pretty busy. Havent even got around to the LED backup lights yet or the '08 tow mirrors. The whole shop thing will never happen but it sure would be nice to have a place around here that carried these things and was open 24-7

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus side, there is nothing like having your own business, though your boss will be the biggest jerk in the world. There is a lot of freedom in it. On the down side, there is little that beats a regular paycheck.
Personal opinion, especially at this time with that type of business model, why not do it part time from your home, via the internet? There are more than a couple of sponsors on this very forum that do it the exact same way. That way you could keep your day job, have something to support your mod habit in the evening, and you could work towards teh eventuality of not working for the man. It would also allow you time to use your fab skills to come up with original designs for some bumpers, and other cool stuff that would be proprietary to you.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus side, there is nothing like having your own business, though your boss will be the biggest jerk in the world. There is a lot of freedom in it. On the down side, there is little that beats a regular paycheck.
Personal opinion, especially at this time with that type of business model, why not do it part time from your home, via the internet? There are more than a couple of sponsors on this very forum that do it the exact same way. That way you could keep your day job, have something to support your mod habit in the evening, and you could work towards teh eventuality of not working for the man. It would also allow you time to use your fab skills to come up with original designs for some bumpers, and other cool stuff that would be proprietary to you.

That would be the way to do it to start. I figure it cant be to hard but I wouldnt even know where to start. I been toying with some ideas on a new front bumper for my truck. I would like to be able to get it chromed when I'm done er heck build it out of stainless!! I've made a couple over the years for other vehicles and looked into buying some of the aftermarket so called heavyduty ones for my PSD but they are just not heavyduty enough for me.
I will have some pics soon of what I've been working on, on my frontend lately.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
If you get serious about opening up a business like this you might contact Jim Manco aka The_Alaskan. He opened up a Diesel Performance shop out of his house three or four years ago. I have not talked to him in over a year to see how things are going but he is a nice guy and I am sure he would fill you in on the ups and downs.

Northern Diesel Performance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14