What is a straight pipe?

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
when you guys talk about your trucks have straight pipes do you mean you have removed the muffler and particulate filter?

My diesel mechanic neighbor suggested I remove these to improve airflow, reduce egr's and get better mileage. We don't have green police like California so I am not concerned about being spanked for the mod...a little concerned about the noise though.

Is the particulate filter and muffler just bolted on?

It looks like the supports are welded to the exhaust when I crawled under the truck to look at the system. Do I have to upgrade the whole exhaust to system to go to straight pipes or can I have a mechanic make me a couple of pipes with flared ends to mate to the existing exhaust system?

Does anyone have pics of a step by step exhaust overhaul?

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you guys talk about your trucks have straight pipes do you mean you have removed the muffler and particulate filter?
YES

My diesel mechanic neighbor suggested I remove these to improve airflow, reduce egr's and get better mileage. We don't have green police like California so I am not concerned about being spanked for the mod...a little concerned about the noise though.
It WILL be louder especially at WOT

Do I have to upgrade the whole exhaust to system to go to straight pipes or can I have a mechanic make me a couple of pipes with flared ends to mate to the existing exhaust system?

You can buy the cat delete and muffler delete pipes from some of our sponsors I believe

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
350, what year is your truck? If it's an 03 your gonna have one hell of a whistle from the turbo. It's loud, but I like loud stuff. My neighbor has an 03 that I believe is striaht piped and it whistle like there's no tomorrow. I like it.

atk

Reaction score
you will beable to straight pipe your stock exhaust(but will be better if you upgraded to a 4" system). it will be a bit louder, but not bad and nice turbo whistle...
any good exhaust shop should be able to make the pieces to delete your muffler and cat for your stock exhaust..

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
When you guys talk about your trucks have straight pipes do you mean you have removed the muffler and particulate filter?
If your truck is a 6.0 it does not have a particulate filter. The particulate filter is on the newer 6.4 equipped trucks. The 6.0 has a Cat and muffler. You can "straight pipe" pipe it by removing the Cat and muffler and replacing them with a piece of straight pipe but when you remove the Cat you should then only operate your truck off-road ;). On the 6.4 trucks you have to get a program that deletes the particulate burn before you remove the particulate filter.

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the CAT delete. I was calling the Cat a Cat until my neigbbor told me that I was thinking gas and diesels have particulate filters.

After I disconnected the EGR I did notice the turbo whistle sooner in the rpm curve and the tranny does shift differently now.

Crummy,

Off road only? are you telling me the neighbors are going to be complaining about the noise when I fire up the truck at 3:00AM to go duck hunting?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Off road only? are you telling me the neighbors are going to be complaining about the noise when I fire up the truck at 3:00AM to go duck hunting?

Off road only since it is illegal to remove the Cat and then drive it on the highway ;)

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the CAT delete. I was calling the Cat a Cat until my neigbbor told me that I was thinking gas and diesels have particulate filters.

After I disconnected the EGR I did notice the turbo whistle sooner in the rpm curve and the tranny does shift differently now.

Crummy,

Not really... it's only louder at WOT... otherwise, it's not too bad. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner on steroids or a jet on the taxi way...

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my cat. off and got pulled over, I told the cop I was going to the muf. shop because the cat. was stolen. He said ok, and drove off......lol

There having a Major problem here with cats. being stolen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58