What is normal black smoke amounts

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to the diesels so I am not sure what is considered a normal amount of black smoke for a stock diesel. There is a Magnaflow exhaust, but besides that the engine is stock. I am asking because I did not notice any black smoke from the truck for the past 2 months, but now I have smoke coming out every time I leave a stop light/sign. Its not a lot, maybe a puff of black and that it, but it does it every time even when I baby it off the stop.

Maybe I just did not notice it before and im being paranoid, but I just want to be preventative with this truck cause I know they're expensive to fix.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont smoke @ all...and ive got an MBRP turbo back & Test pipe installed.

I'd check for engine codes and id consider disconnecting the egr (when the
truck is turned off) to see if it smokes then....if it does NOT smoke w/ the
egr disconnected then id pull the egr and inspect it & clean it up.

if it STILL smokes w/ the egr disconnected id be getting an oil sample
done to see if any injectors are leaking

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The PCMs in these things will not over-fuel the truck, and thus the smoke, so you wil see little if any smoke. I have never seen smoke from mine.

Dave

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Under WOT mine never smokes, but I've noticed that right when I take off from a stop or pop the throttle really quick I'll get a LITTLE black smoke that comes out. It didn't do this 20k miles ago, at 120k now.

JRJ04

Reaction score
take off from a stop and just nail it...it could be suit and whatnot built up in the exhaust

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed this morning that when the engine was cold there was no smoke at all. Did not notice very much after it warmed up either, but I was not in very many stop and go situations. Not sure if that makes a difference.

It may be my imagination, but I think it is taking a little longer to crank as well. And I looked this morning and there was no smoke on crank up either.

For the EGR, first of all were is it? Second, do I disconnect it and drive it or just start the engine?

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep...sometimes you just gotta drive it like you stole it!:burnit

I will try that tonight, and see if the smoke still puffs out tomorrow on my way to work.

If that does not work, where is the EGR. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but I dont know my way around these engines at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14