What is that noise?

seawolf 1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here is a question that will shurley show my ignorance...on my 2001 what is the noise I hear while I am waiting for my "Wait to Start Light" to go off. It is like a small roar for about 5-10 seconds. Almost sounds like a rotation of sorts. :dunno

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Fuel pump perhaps. It's located on the inside frame rail right under the driver's area.

Or the vacuum pump which is much noisier than the fuel pump. The electric vacuum pump is located in the engine area on top of the right side wheel liner.

seawolf 1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Is this something I should hear or possibly a component trying to fail?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I can't hear it so I can't properly state it sounds like it's going or if it's sounds normal.

The vacuum pump on our 02 I would have to say has gotten noisier over the past couple years along with 67k on the clock,not sure what the lifespan is on one of the electronic vacuum pumps.

444ornothing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on occation, I hear the same noise. I have heard it for years and no problems. It surely is coming from the electric vacum pump over on the right fender wheel.

seawolf 1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's fellas. I guess as long as she is still going I wont concern myself to much with it.

Finn

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello Seawolf
I had the same noise about an year ago. It was the solenoid for front locks. Located on the wall on top of the right wheel. Changed it, and no more continuing noise. It still makes the occational noise, when creating the pressure for the lines. Check the vacuum lines as well. If they leak, solenoid stays open and pump keeps pumping.

Jukka

mrwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same noise , it come from the abs in the left corner near the headlight.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like CHP sez: Several things going on guys, during "Wait To Start".

Fuel pump building up pressure.

Vac pump building Vacuum. (brake booster, SOF locks, Heat/AC blend doors reseting to positions at last shut down)

Glow plug relay hum'n

ECM/PCM doing system check(s)

Chimes Chime'n

Dingers Ding'n

Unless we hear a STRANGE noise never heard before.. ? No Worries.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14