What is the best code reader?

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
'03 F-250 superduty crewcab 6.0. 57,000 miles. I bought this truck with 50,000 miles on it. My truck is still under engine warranty, but I can see where a good code reader would be helpful. My truck is in the shop for the second time now in 7,000 miles. The first time was when a shift solenoid went bad and caused the drive clutches to burn up. This time it simply won't start. It sure would have been nice to be able to read the codes, so I could have some assurance that it is a warranty problem. With all that said, who makes the best, most informative, easiest to use, code reader for the guy who wants to do all his own maintenance.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the cheap ones you see at ATZ, Murray's, O'Reilly's etc only read Generic codes.
they will not pull manufacturer specific codes, ie, Ford Diesel

Frankly, I think the OTC/Mac/Matco is the one to have if you want a scan tool.

I have a MODIS, but then again, I use it daily as a routine course of business, and it also runs as a DVOM and a multi-channel lab scope..

Last edited:

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
Ok, I understand I don't want the cheap scan tool from a chain parts store. But what is the difference between what you are reccommending and what Bushpilot reccommends.

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
Some quick research showed that the OTC/Mac/Matco is far more expensive than the autoenginuity, but will the OTC/Mac/Matco do something the unit from autoenginuity won't?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Probably not as far as you are concerned. I have an AE unit and I think it is the best for the owner of a 6.0 or 6.4 liter truck. You can go and find something that you will not like about each unit you look at. The bottom line is that the AE unity work!

Dave

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
Are you refering to the same thing Bush is? Something that I like or don't like about a scanner I can deal with. I would like to spend the least amount of cash I can, only once. I don't want to realize a year down the road that the scanner I bought won't tell me what I need to know, and now I need to buy a different one. I typically drive the wheels off my vehicles, so I don't mind spending a little money on them for quality parts or tools, but I see no need to be wastefull either. For example my gas powered suv, that I bought new in '91 now has more than 250,000 miles on it. And its still going strong. This diesel truck may well be the last vehicle I buy for myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58