Question What is the max temp I want EGT to get to?

snyder5630

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 6.0 with Edge Juice with Attitude, Airaid cold air box and Bully dog exhaust. At what EGT temp should I worry about it being to hot? It currently runs between 600-800

hondo1312

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a Bully Dog GT Diesel and the manual says to "run your truck on the hottest day with a heavy load or uphill", then add 150 degrees to your highest pyro reading. I'm sure you're looking for an actual temperature, but that's all I've got now. After I get my truck back and run the test, I'll re-post.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Is your pyro probe pre or post turbo? Pre turbo temps should not exceed 1250 degrees and post you should subtract about 300 or so off that.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Is your pyro probe pre or post turbo? Pre turbo temps should not exceed 1250 degrees and post you should subtract about 300 or so off that.
X2 ! The TEST that was mentioned is flawed. What if you read 1250 on that hot day, then add 150. 1400deg.'s is NOT a good thing. My opinion is if you see 1300 or even 1350 for a second or few, it's not fatal; just lighten up the right foot a smidge.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
X2 ! The TEST that was mentioned is flawed. What if you read 1250 on that hot day, then add 150. 1400deg.'s is NOT a good thing. My opinion is if you see 1300 or even 1350 for a second or few, it's not fatal; just lighten up the right foot a smidge.

that's what i do... i think that anything over 1250 has been proven to melt things if it stays that way for and extended period of time... but if you put your foot in the go-pedal and it hits 1350 or even 1400 for just a second then your fine... the thing is when you see those numbers just let off the go pedal :thumbs

HDSDOwnage

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Consistancy is key. I would not run a 6.0 over 1250 for more than a few seconds under wot.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this will actually help since the Powerstroke uses a different turbo design than the Dodge Cummins but everything I read when I owned my Cummins is that the impeller will start to melt at 1450 degrees. Because of that I had my Edge Juice set to start defueling at 1300 degrees.

Interesting side note. When I moved out of Alaska towing my trailer my Dodge and trailer weighed 15,000 pounds together. As I climbed the Rockies in Canada I noticed my EGT climbing toward the alarm level. By mistake I hit the up arrow on my controller rather than down and found that running the Edge at a higher power setting actually caused my EGT to drop. I would have expected just the opposite. As I said this was in a Dodge Cummins but I would venture to say the Powerstroke would be similar results.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58