What is too many miles?

fullthrottle99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've only had my first diesel for a couple months and i'm starting to worry. I paid 12,200 for the truck. The body has 182k miles but the engine and tranny was replaced at 90k. It came with papers from a dealership showing the engine and tranny replaced under warranty. My concern is that I invested in a vehicle with too many miles. Will this truck be worth even close to what I paid when it has 200+k miles on it?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I've only had my first diesel for a couple months and i'm starting to worry. I paid 12,200 for the truck. The body has 182k miles but the engine and tranny was replaced at 90k. It came with papers from a dealership showing the engine and tranny replaced under warranty. My concern is that I invested in a vehicle with too many miles. Will this truck be worth even close to what I paid when it has 200+k miles on it?

No.

You're upside down on it already.

has nothing to do with the truck... it's the price of fuel. Nobody wants these things right now because it costs so much to run them...

guy down the road ended up auctioning a late-model Dodge that spent most of the summer for sale...

you don't drive one of these trucks for good looks...

you drive one because you have work to get done...

guys like Crummy, Powerboater and Maxtor, & WD40 that haul fifth wheels all over creation...
others like T-Bar & Roosterdiesel that use theirs on the farm, RoyBoy uses his to haul broken farm equipment to his shop..
Bama used his in his auto-transporter business...

My kids have horses, and we're not shy about taking them anywhere.. Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Canada... we've been all over... ain't no way you'd haul 8,000lbs of Clydesdales and a hitch wagon for 100,000 miles behind a 5.4L...

so, take my advise... get a toy hauler or a bumperpull 22-foot camper... go huntin.. go fishin... take the wife/gf/etc. "up north" for a week.
put the damn thing to work for you.. and don't worry about what it's worth... worry about how your gonna afford the gauge set on your favorites at ISSpro...

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Just booked out your truck:

Low retail $13,075
Clean Retail $14,775
High Retail $15,825

This is with 182,000 miles. They do not give you anything for a fresh engine. Looking at these figures it appears that you got a good deal at $12,200 and the fresh engine is a bonus. These trucks will go 300,000+ without too many repairs so I would say you are in good shape :sweet

Edit: I just booked out my 1996 and it goes for $12,175-$14,675 with a $1,700 add for the low mileage. If I had 200k it would be $10,475-$12,975. There is no add or subtract for 200k. I would guess when your truck is three years older(like mine is now)these will be close to the figures for yours. Couple of thousand dollars for three years of use is not bad at all.

fullthrottle99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
that's a better way of looking at it than the way I was. Just looking down at the mileage makes me unsettled. JLDickmon had a good point because I do need my truck to tow my dirt and streetbikes and their trailers. I'm used to gas trucks where @ 200k you can count on the truck breaking down...Aw screw it, I'll just see how many miles I can get on the thing and try and have no regrets. It is a nice truck...I just put an old fashioned style roll bar in it with some kc lights. I found it on craigslist for 50$. I used to have a 78 powerwagon with a roll bar and I thought it would be neat to put one in a newer truck. Thanks for that research crummy!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Edit: I just booked out my 1996 and it goes for $12,175-$14,675 with a $1,700 add for the low mileage. If I had 200k it would be $10,475-$12,975. There is no add or subtract for 200k. I would guess when your truck is three years older(like mine is now)these will be close to the figures for yours. Couple of thousand dollars for three years of use is not bad at all.

I'll give ya 10,000 for it with S&H included Crumm :D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just traded my 2000 in with 340,000 miles on the clock so you should have plenty of life left in it.

You already paid for it so it's too late to worry about what it's worth other than what it's worth to you. Take care of it and it'll work hard for you for many years to come.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Keep the fluids in check, tranny temps down, and put a good air filter on it and you will be fine. I think you got a good deal. What would you have paid for a gasser 60% through it's expected life span that would give you the towing/hauling performance that you have with the PSD? I've got 186,000 on my truck and it still runs like a top.

Scott

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine for $10500 out the door with 178K and I now have 219k...no regrets besides wishing I had bought a 6 speed. You need to look at the vehicle as is if it has 92k on it. The only thing you have left to wear out is the front and rear end now. Unless they have been changed, you are going to run into balljoints, hub bearings, and tie rods soon...a water pump in another 50k (if you don't put a coolant filter on it) and keep your tranny temps down or you'll be looking at more. Put on a bypass oil, coolant, and tranny filter, nice tranny cooler, put the better cupholders in it (if it doesn't have the hook ones), and tally-ho.
You got a deal...drive it!
Jesse

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just traded my 2000 in with 340,000 miles on the clock so you should have plenty of life left in it.

You already paid for it so it's too late to worry about what it's worth other than what it's worth to you. Take care of it and it'll work hard for you for many years to come.

Seems like that purdy much sez it all, right there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14