What kind of HP can the TQ Shift handle???

FatboyC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how much power the Torque Shift can handle? What is the general concensus. I have had the blown head gaskets so I have turned the power down but I am also running 40" tires and stock gears. What do you guys think, 50, 75, 100 h.p. over stock???

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
Well 40" tire on stocks gears is not good on the tranny and motor to begin with..

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there IS a magic number...
what it is somewhat depends on all the variables....
Gene's (weweld) probably has as many little ponies running around his PS as anyone.... and is mostly stock IIRC....

but with the large tires, etc you have,
I would say the strain is not just on the engine side :)

with stock tires and daily driven... my guess is the 475 HP range and maybe 800 lbft of torque would be a concern...

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to get yourself some gears before you even attempt to hop up that motor.. If you hop up that motor without proper gearing you will be wasting money because you will destroy your whole drive train....

For 40" tires I would be looking at 4.56 - 4.88 gears for hiway use and around town.. If you accually take your truck off road and still tow with the truck I would say 5.13

FatboyC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:thanks for the responses guys, I am planning on getting gears soon but as you can tell, this thing has set me back some dough so I'm still trying to budget for the next mod. Just wondering what the longevity of the trans will be at if I run the tow program on the Bully Dog to get back some in town acceleration. The truck has 25,000 on it right now and have heard of mildly modded truck doing well into 100,000 + miles on stock tq shift. It doesn't go off road any more, but it does tow and enclosed trailer every now and again. Not very much weight maybe 4500#'s. Pretty much just plan on showing it now.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
Skip the tuner and get the gears, you will be happierer..... for then at least

FatboyC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
XTrmXJ said:
Skip the tuner and get the gears, you will be happierer..... for then at least

I already have the tuner, see my sig, I have Bully Dog Triple Dog and a Predator (thats what I blew the head gasket with). If I get gears, will that affect my ABS sensors or give me constant CEL? I have heard of other brands doing that with the installation of gears. I have the programmer set on tow mode now and ocasionally adjust is to the extreme mode to play with the Dirtymaxs and Dogs. Although it has 40's it still seems to move pretty good, blew away an 06 Dmax the other day. Have any idea what gears cost? Good brand? Thanks.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
Gears cant and wont mess your ABS, Those 40" do.. The only time the ABS gets messed up is when you do a Disc brake conversion in the rear or have excessivly large tires.. If you can take those other trucks on stock gears image what you could do with proper gear ratio, its night and day, plus they will save on wear and tear on your drive train, and get way better milage

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58