What kind of jack???

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
When I bought my truck, someone had removed the stock jack and accessories......not that they work worth a crap anyway. I am going to be doing a lot of traveling this year and want to have a jack that will actually lift my truck with and not break under this hog!!

I have been looking at the Hi-Lift jacks. Is that the way to go? :confused:

Also......has anyone used those 12-volt impact guns? I have been looking at those too.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. :thanks

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
I use Hi-Lifts on my Jeeps all the time, and frankly they scare me enough with 4k lbs on them, wouldn't want to put more on them.

Silver_Crew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would not trust the stock bumper to hold up that kind of weight. I carry a small 4 ton bottle jack. It works just fine, for flat tires.

Greg

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When I bought my truck, someone had removed the stock jack and accessories......not that they work worth a crap anyway. I am going to be doing a lot of traveling this year and want to have a jack that will actually lift my truck with and not break under this hog!!

I have been looking at the Hi-Lift jacks. Is that the way to go? :confused:

Also......has anyone used those 12-volt impact guns? I have been looking at those too.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. :thanks

I have an 18 volt impact...Dewalt...wouldn't consider anything less....as far as the high-lift is concerned, like BigDave said...they should scare ya. Good bottle jack is the way to go for compact...3 ton floor-lift ifn you have the room n want to lug it around-popcorn

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
I carry around a 3.5 ton hydraulic jack from walmart that extends up to 18" I think? Either way, it fits under little cars, and still extends enough to pick my truck a few inches off the ground. Remember, while it is always better to be overprepared you don't need a 3.5 ton jack because your truck weighs 3.5 tons since you're only lifting a portion of your truck. I'd also recommend the hydraulic jack over the bottle jack if you have a crew cab because it easily fits behind the rear seat. The bottle jack isn't nearly as stable either... I'd rather take up some more room and be better prepared in case of an emergency then not have it when you need it.

OR you could call AAA to come change your tire and you might be lucky enough to have me stop and do it for you ;)

Last edited:

irish4x4

Mayor of Margaritaville
Reaction score
I'll have to send you the pics of my neighbors rear bumper and tailgate. His Hi-lift jack shifted and slid the truck to the left and popped the top of the jack through the tailgate handle and wadded up his little back-up sensors in the bumper face. It's just the wrong tool for the job. You can pickup an inexpensive bottle jack at any tool outlet, and it will take up far less room in the ol' tool box. Happy travels.:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58