what kind of oil to use in 7.3?

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
qiut using rotella and started to using castrol gtx 15w-40 and right away i notice that my injectors wasn't as noisy that they were before. done a little research and found out that rotella dosn't put enough anti foaming additives in there oil to keep it from foaming which was causing all the noise from the ejectors. can anybody out there can confirm or not this condition??? thanks, happy trails, bob: :confused:

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
qiut using rotella and started to using castrol gtx 15w-40 and right away i notice that my injectors wasn't as noisy that they were before. done a little research and found out that rotella dosn't put enough anti foaming additives in there oil to keep it from foaming which was causing all the noise from the ejectors. can anybody out there can confirm or not this condition??? thanks, happy trails, bob: :confused:

Any Mods ?

I'v used Rotella T6 5/40, full synthetic for years. Get comments on how quiet my 7.3 is... compared to others. Won't be changing to any other brands.

But I attribute some of the reduced "Cackle", to the HX mod, and increasing the fuel pressure to 70 psi... as well as running the Rotella T.

Joe

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Most guys on here run the rotella stuff and have heard no complaints about it. Pretty much the best oil out there and fleet proven. I'd be usin it if my truck hasnt been usin motorcraft ALL its life. Over 265k on it and still goin strong. I've done the HPX and FPR shim mod and that helped the cackle noise.

dpantazis

Reaction score
is the castrol a Cx- group oil? C is for compression ignition, S is for spark.

doesnt matter what brand, color, creed or religion the oil is as long as you use it and change it when it needs to be changed!

i buy what is on 'sale' 5l motorcraft dino in the warmer months or 5w rotella in the colder months.

A/Ox4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put Shell Rotella T6 in mine today. We will see how she likes it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14