what radio to get?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CD changer stopped changing...and I had a fun time removing the stock system (6 cd changer/radio). Someone had cobbed the clips so I removed the dash to get out. Now that it is out I am looking for ideas on what to replace it with:
1. another just like it, but with some aux input for ipod etc and aux output for headset
2. after market

Please suggestions are welcome!

Note: I am not an audiophile, my truck is noisy, the roads are bumpy; I just want some Musack occasionally...Note 2: I really don't know what a head unit is, seriously, so simple solutions... Note 3: I have to remove all my door panels so I could put in new speakers but don't know why I'd want to.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
meh, I dont have jimmy jammers so I dont want to attract attention to my truck. so I just replaced my cd/tape stock radio with a stock tape deck radio since no one uses cds anymore, and I just stuck one of those tape converter thingys so I can use my sirius.

not much of a suggestion but even with shipping I spent around 40 bucks and that for me was awesome!

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hit crutchfeild and see what fits I like the pioneer double din units there are about 6 choices in all price ranges

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Do u want a gps system? You can get an in dash navigation unit. All the major manufacturers make them. I like the pioneer and kenwood systems. One of these days I will replace the stock tape player with an in dash dvd player with flatscreens in the back.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Tape player?:dunno:eek::dizzy

LOL, I think you mean me. I'll explain. Im a bit on the younger side of most on here. And CDs went dead years ago, and thank god for that. They scratched they skipped and the CD' you burned sometimes didint play or the burnable CDs you used delaminated. When Ipods and even better sirius came out. I switched and never went back. NO ONE HAS. you want my song, or a want a new one?? just down load or email it. it takes seconds and its alway HD and always plays perfect.

now to the raido. I had a stock cd/tape deck. Instead of spending money to get a radio that has the "port" to plug in your IPOD or SIRUS and I mean like a minimum of $200. I spent $8, yeah thats right I am a frugal person. $8 and I can carry thousands of songs with me that will never get scratched.

so when my old radio broke the opportunity for me to spend $200 for the radio with the "port" or $35 for a ford radio with just a tape deck again. again why the heck do people even use CDs anymore???? WALA! yeah it sounds the same. yeah I have extra $$$$ to go racemine! yeah I have no reason for people to bust into my truck. :sly:sly

Last edited:

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...so I just replaced my cd/tape stock radio with a stock tape deck radio since no one uses cds anymore, and I just stuck one of those tape converter thingys so I can use my sirius.

not much of a suggestion but even with shipping I spent around 40 bucks and that for me was awesome!

Good suggestion, Iracemine, thanks, & your follow-on answer made even more sense to me, since I'm sort of a cheapskate. But what is this tape converter thingy? Got a model or suggestion? My broken unit still has an ok radio, just the cd changer is dorked up; but no cassette. Also, my experience with cassette thingys from the old days before CD players in cars (yeah, you put it into the cassette to feed a signal from your portable CD player) was they were marginal for sound even to my lousy hearing. Care to clarify?

For GPS/Navigation, I like maps and my old Nokia runs google maps just fine while on the road. I am not sure that I want to spend $500 for a Nav unit -- those on Crutchfield don't give much detail on the NAV so hard to tell.

Hey, what do you do to get "headphone" output on a unit. I really like using my noise cancelling headsets to listen to books and so forth -- can somebody explain to me how to do that/where to look for info, too?

Also, I'm assuming that the gaping hole in the dash means my system is "double din" but the suggestion from 02Oilburner seems single DIN so I don't understand what to do to fill the rest of the hole, is there a filler? My system has a FORD model 1C3F-18C815-AB on back and 07B4710HBDW YL2F-18C821-AG inked onto the top. The CD tray is stuck open but fortunately I could grab the stuck CD out of it and return the book on CD to the library, without the whole CD unit too :D

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need double din or a filler that I am sure is readily available ;

is driving with noise canceling headphones safe?

I haven't seen a tape converter in forever lol

they make input devices that go in between the antenna lead and then u tune to a chanel (fm modulator ,, they are cheap also

Last edited:

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is driving with noise canceling headphones safe?
I imagine it is illegal in the same places headsets are illegal but I have to tell ya, they filter the low freq noise and make the factory radio (at least talk/news) a lot easier to understand. You can talk with 'em on too, just knocks out the really loud and the low freq. I think it is safer on long trips, because it reduces driver fatigue. I use them on intl flights a lot and have found it to improve my jet lag.

Still would like to know what to search for so I could plug 'em in!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58