what the heck is wrong with my front end?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im starting to get annoyed by this issue,every time i back up somewhere in a parking spot or am just backing into a driveway,my front tires bow in like crazy,like there collapsing.its not just a little bit either,its embarrasing.then when i pull forward the straighten out.so ive heard my balljoints could be doing it if there bad or there the adjustable kind,and i know there not bad so what is wrong

truckfrontend025.jpg

truckfrontend024.jpg

truckfrontend021.jpg

truckfrontend007.jpg

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
WOW, that's an awful lot of lean. Sounds like it's something with the ball joints. Wether they're oout of adjustment or bad, I'm not sure. What front axle is that?

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
You mean the one that's like a solid axle hacked into two? His is a 97 and so is mine and I have a SOLID axle up front. Looks like maybe a D60? Are the D50s known for this tire issue?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what i dont understand is why they only lean like that when i back up,when i drive straight and park straight,there fine.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
because of the alignment which is toe in just a little when you back up your tires pull out so whatever is wore out in your axle gives and lets it pull out like that. My guess is your pivot bushings are shot and maybe the spring bushings

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
yours is a stright axle because its a 350.lucky you.:rant

Oh, ok. Sweet!! :D I don't know why it only happens when you back up. My buddy has a 86 chey 3/4 ton and his does that too. When's the last time you had it aligned? That could be part of it. looks like the passenger side does it worse in the pics. The driver's side doesn't look that bad. Like turbo animal said, might be internal parts that are worn out.

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
there could be nothing worn, just too much toe in. very common with the TTB front end. what is happening is the front tires are aiming in (therefore pushing in) while driving forward, and aiming out (pulling apart) when in reverse.

jack up the front of the truck and see if you have any movement in the ball joints, and tie rod ends, bushings, etc.; fix any worn parts BEFORE taking it to be aligned.

fix it soon, because this is also costing you fuel mileage and EXCESSIVE tire wear!

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with mine. All I can say is that once I save up enough cash, I will be buying a good used D60 out of a 350. You can spend a boat load of cash trying to fix it and it never actually get fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58