rant What The ???

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the truck people notice my Harley 350 cause it looks a little different and sounds nice with the Magnaflow exhaust.. The part the makes me #@%$# last weekend I was pulling my car hauler with the Jeep to a Off Roading weekend thing. It was hot around 85 I noticed this dash idiot light showing a wrench called the dealer they said the truck doesn't like something that's going on and this light might go off. We pulled in a rest stop and had a bite to eat came out started the truck. the light was out so we ran the rest of the trip with no air the light stayed off. Coming home yesterday it was cooler we didn't need the air but this light came back on, next the Check engine light came on. The rest of the trip really sucked hardley any boost no pick up seemed to be louder then normal. Dropped off the trailer seems to be running ok boost is up check engine light is still on. Just a note I had the EGR valve replaced Feb 2010 for similar problem, then April 2 2010 getting black smoke, stalling , EGR replaced again they said they cleaned the manifold a big piece of soot came off and plugged the EGR. I have 81450 mi I'm the org owner.I don't like seeing the dealer every 2 months I drive 70 mi a day and I have been getting on it putting the pedal down daily like a few people suggested in some of my earlier posts . I'd trade it in but its paid off and seems like almost everyone Ford & Dodge is having similar problems with their diesels. Any suggestions are appreciated before I see the dealer tomorrow.

Gumby

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The wrench light could have come on due to the oil temps getting out of whack. Was the fan engaging a lot?

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fan

My fan has always been going whenever the temperature hits 80 that being so noisy was always a complaint of mine

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My fan has come on only 6 or 8 times since I have owned this truck. I know it has come on a bit more than that, but I didn't hear it. You have an EGR Cooler that is giving you problems. It is common on this engine.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You could get water in the cylinders which would be bad. This could cause the engine to hydro-lock. This is not normal. Your truck will run like sh%$.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Do you have "REAL" gauges? If not get some. Get a boost and EGT at least. The gauges that Ford puts in these trucks are computer controlled. That is they read what the PCM (computer) tells them to read. They have no bearing on reality.

Dave

GGJPGUY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My wife's 06 F2fiddy was doin the same thing. Like some of the posts suggest, it was the EGR cooler. It had sprung a pinhole leak in it somewhere and was sucking coolant. :rant Lots of smoke, ran like crap. Hed the cooler replace at the dealer, runs like a champ now. Off-Road magizine has a great article that they did on there project SD. Where they change to and aftermarket cooler. ;tu Since my 06 3fisty is not under warranty, and I use the crap outta it, I am going the aftermarket route. Hope this helps. Good Luck

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem

I'm really considering trading it on a gas truck I can't do the delete where I live. I don't want to think about what happens when I gotta start paying out of my pocket. Lets see had one replaced (EGR valve) February 2010, April 2010 , and it been at the dealer 2 days now waiting to see whats wrong. I'm not too confident towing my trailer anywhere. Thanks for all the replys

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58