What to expect

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read so much on running bio-diesel my eyes are crossed. I'm sure the info is here somewhere but...
I've found B99 at 3.15/gal while reg fuel just went up to 3.39. I'm planning on getting a load in the next couple of days but I'm worried about the rubber melting away, filters plugging etc. What can I expect to happen running the B99? The supplier says anything newer than a '90 shouldn't have to worry about rubber but I'm scared and :confused:

Thanks
Ron

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
You dont have much to worry about but the supplier is incorrect. Hheynow and I, and others Im sure, have had to replace the two fuel lines coming from the regulator to the front of the heads. Not a big deal; about $175 parts and labor. I went with teflon and SS braid. I have not checked my tank lines but I have also lost my source of b100 and am now stuck back on #2. Other than the lines I have not had any problems. SOme people get plugged filters as crud breaks free from the tanks and system but I never did. The filter bowl gasket will swell but it didnt become an issue until I opened the bowl to look for debris.

You will love the quieter performance. Report back your experiences.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Cold flow is another issue!

Some B99(depends on feedstock) can cloud at 50 degrees. That can be remedied with a heated filter, and no the stock heater in the bowl is not good enough. You can always blend in the colder months.

Run some to try it out, you'll love how quiet the engine runs!

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I be better off changing the lines now just because...or would a couple of test tanks be OK to run? Is there a standard type of line to replace the old ones with that I could get over the counter?

I'm sure you all are tired of the same questions all the time but :thanks

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I ran for almost 6 months on b100 before I had any problem and even then I did not have a failure. Richard (hheynow) had discovered it on his and notified me to check and I had the same issue. You are fine to run a few tanks. The hoses degrade after some time with the fuel under pressure.

I had to have hoses made at a local shop but total was only $27 and they made them while I waited. I got one at 11" and one at 16" and they are both a tad long. If you can get in the tight spaces you could get a better measurement but I was in a hurry and the engine was hot. Let me go back through some of my old posts on the topic and I'll let you know size and fittings but I dont remember off the top of my head.

If you have the time and proper tools you can probably put them on yourself. I dont and didnt want to fool with it. You will need teflon paste (not tape) to go on the fittings. Home depot, $3 for a tube. Bio eats the tape but not the paste.

well I cant find the exact info but I do know this - the fittings to which the hoses attach are 1/8 npt and the hose should be at least 1/4" ID or 3/8". I think I got 3/8. If you can get SS fittings for both the hoses and replace the fittings into the heads too that would be ideal. I couldnt in a timely manner so kept the stock ones and have regular steel on the hoses.

Last edited:

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Rookie said:
Would I be better off changing the lines now just because...or would a couple of test tanks be OK to run? Is there a standard type of line to replace the old ones with that I could get over the counter?

I'm sure you all are tired of the same questions all the time but :thanks

Best hose, would be to take the old ones to a hydraulic shop and have the teflon ones made up for you as mentioned prev. Will last forever.

You could also use 1/8"npt to 1/4" hose barb fittings, 1/4" SAE 30R9 Fuel Injection hose, and FI clamps. All available at local parts stores. Have those on my system currently, over a year and 50,000 miles. That type hose is good to higher pressure than we see and has a B100 compatible lining.

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I have a week before I need to fuel up again so I think I'll try and get the hoses done. I should have enough info to get some made. I just noticed tonight that diesel is up to 3.49 here in town and the B99 is still 3.15.

I'm thinking this is a go...

Ron

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well tonights the night...I fill up with B99 on my way home and I just found out it dropped 3 cents a gallon while dino went up...I'll have about a quarter tank on the back and a couple of gallons on the front when I fuel tonight.

Ron

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14