What to look for when buying a 6.0L

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would look for one that has been driven and not a garage queen. These engines like to be driven. Check the Oasis report from Ford and it will show all of the work Ford has done to that vehicle. If it looks good, then buy it. I have one and I have had only a few things go wrong with mine. The FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) went bad a couple of years ago. This is a normal item that goes out at about 120,000 mikes. New ones or rebuilt ones go longer. I had to change an injector at 105,000 miles. I had a 100,000 mile warranty but it was over when this stuff went out. Good Luck in your hunt. A gasser will give you problems over 125,000 miles.

Dave :)

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
I have nearly 120,000 miles on mine. Other than replacing both batteries at the four year point, adding a coolant filter and replacing a vacuum solenoid for the electronic shift on the fly, no issues. Just the normal fluid and filter changes has made my truck happy.

Find a truck that has been driven. The garage queens have problems with sticky turbos and gummed up injectors. Both problems easily fixed but a royal PITA.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SSD.com and what Dave and Ray say is true, also I would try to find
a 2006 or 2007, seams the head bolts on them were a little better. What are you
planing on pulling with it?
Doug

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Mine just rolled over to 174,000 this past weekend, as Dave said make sure it's been driven and towed some pretty decent loads to get the turbo nice and hot so it burns all the soot out. I Bought mine in 2008 with 123,000 miles on it and replaced the turbo shortly after taking delivery of the truck(it was just worn out). I have also done two injectors, FICM, EGR delete, turbo back exhaust, and I'v stopped using the dealer recommended 5W-40 and started using Rotella 15W-40 changing it every 5k with fuel filters every 10k. I've also been running IDP's Extreme Street tune for most of the summer and the tow tune when towing our 5er and I have not had an issue at all but just make sure you have some gauges to monitor the Trans temp, EGT's and boost. I fully expect this truck to make it to 350-400k and the body is still in good shape with just a few little rust spots underneath I need to address next summer.

This is what it looked like the day I drover her home from the dealer.

DSC_0760.jpg

This was taken this summer, not bad for a six year old truck that's towed and worked all it's life. The previous owner is just as anal as I am about doing PM's and taking care of his equipment.

DSC_0836-1.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58