What to look for when buying used 6.0

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have not followed the 6.0 that much so I don't know much about them. What would a guy look for on a 05' 6.0 with 29,000 miles? I have located a 05' F350 dually that just might make a good camper hauler. 30K doesn't seem like too bad of price for the good shape it is in. Has a gooseneck hitch in the bed so I imagine it has did some towing. Not a scratch in the bed so it has not did any hauling. Anything to look for specifically on the 6.0?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
05's and late build 05 for some reason have a higher incidence of hpop quick disconnect failures, which is covered by the powertrain warranty

other than that
go for it
05 had new headlights that are a bit brighter, new interior styling
drivers glove box,

is it a duallllllly? :D

that low miles , she isnt even warmed up
big jump in performance from the 7.3 to the 6.0
low end tq is different but man it sure pulls good

oh and the 6.0 likes to turn a bit more rpms
torqueshift and
tow haul is light years ahead of the junk hooked to the 7.3

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 feels rather underpowered out of the hole, compared to the 7.3. Wind it up a bit and it will take off. I have had no complaints about the pulling power of mine, but I had an IDI before and it was dead.

Dave

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
is it a duallllllly? :D3
Yeper :sweet Should handle the camper nicely.

torqueshift and tow haul is light years ahead of the junk hooked to the 7.3
No torqueshift she is a handshaker :sweet Only problem with this is the wife wants a auto. If we get a dually it will be a replacement for the 05' SuperCrew which is her daily driver when it isn't in the shop. She is in the 95' Explorer right now as the 05' is back in the shop again. This time for another rear axle input seal and some 4x issues.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeper :sweet Should handle the camper nicely.

No torqueshift she is a handshaker :sweet Only problem with this is the wife wants a auto. If we get a dually it will be a replacement for the 05' SuperCrew which is her daily driver when it isn't in the shop. She is in the 95' Explorer right now as the 05' is back in the shop again. This time for another rear axle input seal and some 4x issues.
Hey Crumm;

The manual shifting takes some getting used to, also is very sluggish in 1st and 2nd gear. The manual mainly shines in o.d. at 1800 rpm and higher. We average 18.5 mpg empty at 70 mph,and have reached 21 mpg once. The power is very good at cruise, due to less parasitic drag than a automatic. We like ours, but they are no rocket ship off the line. If we were in a drag race with a vw, I would bet on the vw.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Oasis will be done if I get to a serious stage of purchasing it. Just kicking tires right now.

up_roktoy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Take the VIN and have an Oasis report done. It will show all of the work that was done at a dealer. Keith
I am looking at some trucks right now also, what do I want to know on the oasis report?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58