What's a good year for 6.0's

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was made 10-03...and had EGR and head gasket problems that Ford could or would not fix it. Glad its gone, but miss it......I would either stick with your 7.3 or go up to a 6.4. I will not have another 6.0 because of the reliability issues.

Fine69

Reaction score
My 05 has been through 4 turbos, a couple recalls, and a few other small things. But I still get a S!%t eating grin everytime I drive/hear/see it!;tu:D

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was made 10-03...and had EGR and head gasket problems that Ford could or would not fix it. Glad its gone, but miss it......I would either stick with your 7.3 or go up to a 6.4. I will not have another 6.0 because of the reliability issues.

Why? The 6.4 is an unproven motor and it is only meant to tide them over till the "Scorpion" motor comes out. That is the in house motor from Ford.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? The 6.4 is an unproven motor and it is only meant to tide them over till the "Scorpion" motor comes out. That is the in house motor from Ford.

After the problems with 6.0L, I would take a chance on the unknown 6.4L than with 6.0L that you can almost bet on problems....even on the IHC side with what they call the VT365, they have nothing but problems with them as well....not a good track record, I don't want to work the truck all the time with big ticket items such as head gaskets, etc. In my opinion I would buy a 7.3L, at least the tranny can be fixed rather easily.

Todd Tumbleston

Tumblestone
Reaction score
I'M NOT A HAPPY CAMPER WITH MY 03, 6.0... 80,000 miles......IT'S IN THE SHOP RIGHT NOW GETTING 5K WORK OF HEADS REPLACED.....NOT TO INCLUDE THE 500 BUCKS I JUST SPENT ON THE ARP HEAD BOLTS AND THE 1200 I JUST PAID FOR THE BANKS INTERCOOLER THAT REPLACED THE STOCK ONE THAT BLEW.....BUTTTT....AND A BIG BUT.....lOVE MY FORD....

I guess if you follow the forum and pull the good information, make the head bolt changes and the EGR changes you'll have a great truck.....I hope to get another 80k miles out of mine before i have to dump any more cash into it...I was getting 16 to 18 MPG running a 60hp economy tune from Diablosport... BUT....I dont' trust it anymore.

Install new ARP headbolts
Install guages
delete the EGR ( I still have to to)
Install a coolant filter.( got mine just have to wait to get the truck back)
SCT w/custom tunes????? I'm going that way eventually
Nice exhaust system...I'm just straight piped...

Some one here can give you the site with the recommended changes to make the 6.0 AWSOME....if you have the bucks to spend on it....JUST MY OPINION......6.4's are just butt ugly to me....Kinda remind me of the Chevy Chase movie Vacation where they bought the new ford LTD wagon that they had added all the lights to the front and back to make it look like something else.... Ford just added a bunch of butt ugly lights stacked in front....YUCK... also just my opinion....My momma always said ...."Don't buy no ugly truck!" I always thought that was literal but I would buy the UGLIEST truck in the world if it was reliable........I'm retired and can't afford to much of this crap...

help me!..........................

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.0 Questions

what he said
late 06 build through 07 were pretty much fixed

however late build 05's also had very few issues
except for the hpop quick disconnect, but once it fails they fix it right :dunno:stir

So what did Ford do to the later models (that was different than early) to fix these problems? And just to confirm on another question. If you get these new ARP head studs and an EGR delete on the 6.0, does that (for the most part) make the 6.0 a pretty reliable truck (as long as you aren't doing heavy HP mods)?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58