photos What's In Your Turbo?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I thought I would post up some pics of my disassembled turbo.

Thanks to Royboy who posted up THIS LINK that goes into more detail about cleaning/resurfacing parts of the turbo, I will be attempting to do this to mine.

I can only see where it will help to do it now. I was very skeptical of my abilities to first of all remove the turbo from the engine, secondly to take the turbo apart (gotta thank Kevin Richards, my diesel tech for the help) and thirdly to attempt this cleaning stuff.

It has been a very good learning experience for me to see the inner workings of this turbo. I always wondered what it meant to have a variable geometry turbo. After seeing the insides, it makes sense what the "variable" is.

Hope these pics helps others in the future, especially those that are like me and don't know a whole lot about it.

More pics to come after I have the surfaces cleaned even more.

Slide show link Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bama - that turbo doesn't look too badly contaminated from rust or soot. I'm not sure of the vgt solenoid - if its just the picture or not, but the O rings look "pinched" near the oil holes, probably just the lighting or something. I've seen turbos in a lot worse condition.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Hey Bama - that turbo doesn't look too badly contaminated from rust or soot. I'm not sure of the vgt solenoid - if its just the picture or not, but the O rings look "pinched" near the oil holes, probably just the lighting or something. I've seen turbos in a lot worse condition.

I agree. It actually looks pretty good. I really didn't know what to expect when I got it out, having never seen the inner workings of one before.

The turbo in the IH article that was rusty & full of carbon build-up, made me feel better about mine.

But any who, while I have it out, it wont hurt to give it a good cleaning, install a new solenoid and O-ring on the housing of the cold side.

JRJ04

Reaction score
good stuff bama! would i really need to do this even if i still have a good PSI?

since yours is a 7.3L turbo, you cant do this to it. The design of the 6.0 is completely different and requires cleaning from time to time...just keep on driving yours!

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
hey bama, did you just use the emory cloth and the scuf pads to clean it or what... mine is starting to surge pretty bad and im out of warrenty...

and i guess the big question is... did you see a difference after you put it back together??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58