Whats Included in a Trailer package?

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
HI Guys,

What exactly is included in a trailer tow package? I already can see that I have a tranny cooler, a tow/haul mode controller on the steering column and I have trailer hookup on the rear bumper. Is that it?

Someone mentioned that I might have an integrated brake controller. Anyone have any ideas?

I have a 2004 F350 4X4.

Thanks,

Fausto

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
If you have the integrated brake controller you will see it when sitting in the drivers seat. It is above the ash tray and under the 4x4 selector. If you don't have the controller you should at least have a harness to easily wire in a aftermarket controller. The harness comes in a bag and is usually placed in the glove box by the dealer. The harness plugs in under the dash and the bare ends connect to the aftermarket controller.

163_0410_04z+2005_ford_f-350_drw_4x4_king_ranch+dashboard_view.jpg

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
If it's a 2004, you will not have the integrated brake controller as seen in the pic above, that started with the 2005 model.

But....

As Crumm stated, there will be a harness that you can easily install an aftermarket one.

There should also be the tow/haul, 7 pin trailer plug in at the rear bumper.

I think that is all.

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

I purchased a harness from a trailer rental place and plugged it in to the only free harness hookup I found, that was behind the ash tray. It only fit one way and the harness was ford specific so I assumed that was for hooking up the brake controller...then a neighbor mechanic cautioned me that that might be the case.

Besides wiring in the brake controller and testing the brakes on a trailer is there any other way to make sure that is the correct harness? I looked thoroughly under the dash and could only the one harness and the ODBCII connection. So I am pretty sure that is what its for.

I not into paying the Dealer a few hundred dollars to install the controller if I can.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
If it's a 2004, you will not have the integrated brake controller as seen in the pic above, that started with the 2005 model.

But....

As Crumm stated, there will be a harness that you can easily install an aftermarket one.

There should also be the tow/haul, 7 pin trailer plug in at the rear bumper.

I think that is all.

Thats it.:D

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

I purchased a harness from a trailer rental place and plugged it in to the only free harness hookup I found, that was behind the ash tray. It only fit one way and the harness was ford specific so I assumed that was for hooking up the brake controller...then a neighbor mechanic cautioned me that that might be the case.

Besides wiring in the brake controller and testing the brakes on a trailer is there any other way to make sure that is the correct harness? I looked thoroughly under the dash and could only the one harness and the ODBCII connection. So I am pretty sure that is what its for.

I not into paying the Dealer a few hundred dollars to install the controller if I can.

Factories have gotten pretty good at having specific connectors for certian circuits or accessories.

If nothing else, it prevents mistakes on the assembly line leading to costly warranty claims.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14