What's this 'smoke"at throttle?

swgent

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 'o6 250 has about 65k miles on it..and when I really nail the throttle I see "smoke" from the exhaust. Not heavy black or blue or white. I see it more after dark looking in right mirror with headlights back lighting this. It goes away at say 85% throttle, and is worse towing a small tandem trailer..maybe 6000 lbs gross. No chips or tunes..all stock engine. It is about time to change fuel filters again..gettin close to 35 k on this set, most I've ever went betqween fuel filter changes. I remember seeing this with lots of older diesel engines and hate to think of it happening to mine.Any ideas as to what this is? By the way its 2000 miles into an oil change, with same on new air filter.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
could be some carbon build up. Just hammer it for a little while and see if it goes away. Don't baby it. Sometimes you just got to lay in it to clean em out, and by the way, welcom to SDD.com.

Reaction score
They smoke like that after dark even brand new. Heck the way my tip is pointed i blow alot of dirt off the road also so most of the time see that after dark.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SSD.com Swgent, like your name. If you got some smoke you are not driving your truck hard enough most of the time. These 6.0 like to be hammered every now and then. You need to change fuel filters more often than 30 K miles. Tell us where you are from.
:welcome3 :welcome :welcome2 :usa :oval

sawed off

Party like a rockstar
Reaction score
Mine smokes a-little bit and I change my fuel filters every 10,000 miles Im sure its not a bad thing that it throws a little smoke.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
The manual says 17,500..a Ford TSB said 22,500...every third oil change is about right. That puts you at about 15-21,000 miles depending on when you change it. You should be draining your HFCM every oil change to prevent water build up. Welcome aboard. This is the place to be for good information.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58