Whats up with this fan shroud

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so i go to change my alternator, and i am told there are two alternators, i can only see oneso i take it off and have it checked and it says its okay, so i put it back on and the idiot light went out and i guess i dont need an alternator, while i am in there i figure i will change the belt, mind you i had released the belt by taking the alternator bolts out, and that is not going to work to put the belt back on so i really start looking at it and i cant beleive the fan shroud design, do you have to remove the fan shroud to put a new belt on??
If this is the way it is??? has anybody seen any MODIFICATION to the shroud that makes it a little easier to get to the tensioner, i can barely get two fingers in there!!!
I was going to take it off but even that looks complicated, anybody who has any experience dealing with the 6.0 fan shroud i sure would appreciate any tips or shortcuts to working ont the belt .:dizzy

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can cut the shroud along two lines that remove the top third of the shroud. Not a very good design, but it will bolt back together. You will see two holes for the bolts.

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a way to release the fan shroud, and I don't know how to do it. I know it just pops back on. Will try to find more out in the morning when I go to pick up my truck, the A/C was not working right so took it in today. 102 here today.

Doug

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
As far as the tensioner, I just get the belt positioned on all the sheaves/ idlers except the alternator (with it bolted on) and grab the belt with 2 hands and lift the belt on. No tools required. Did in in a state park last fall when my alt went out :sweet
The fan shroud can be cut and screwed back together if needed.

BIGMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What WD40 said, Use a screwdriver and insert it in the groves and pry out and pull up that will give you room for a belt tenson bar.

Michael

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you seen anything that takes the place of the stock shroud to make it easier for access????
thanks for the advice. I tried lifting the belt but i could not get it on, maybe the tensioner is new and is extra strong, I got it back on by bumping around like a bicycle chain, probably not the best but i needed to get moving now i need to put a good one on.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. I tried lifting the belt but i could not get it on, maybe the tensioner is new and is extra strong, I got it back on by bumping around like a bicycle chain, probably not the best but i needed to get moving now i need to put a good one on.
Glad you got it going. I crawl right up on the truck to lift it, but hey maybe I'm crazy :D

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a bad leg from an accident last year so i cant crawl up on much of anything anymore but i do get the idea of what your saying.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that tensioner doesnt need a tool , it has a clip on the bottom so with one hand you pull the belt to you and the other you flip the hold open lever up ,, do your work and when you want to release the tensioner you simply pull the belt tight and the lever drops on it's own

ps not all SD have dual alt's actually most don't

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg