wheel alignment ?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
when I got my new tires the guy said our trucks do not have rear wheel adjustments so only a 2 wheel alignment can be done. The ford dealer just told me they do an all wheel alignment.

Which is it?

Thanks!

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware there is no alignment for the rear of our trucks. If its out of wack your frame or something else is. I would say the are just aligning the front end and making sure the back is still in.

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing to adjust in the rear so technically, no you can not do a 4 wheel alignment.

A normal 2 wheel alignment is to just set the toe, caster and camber on the front wheels.

Basically, if the front and rear are out of alignment relative to each other, the truck will 'crab walk' down the road. This kind of condition is not normal and is usually a result of bent frame, or something really wrong in the front or rear resulting in a wheelbase that is different from right side to left side.

Chris

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, on our trucks it is pretty hard to get the caster and camber off, so toe is the only thing that is likely in need of alignment. Toe is SUPER easy to adjust. You can do it with your partner, a tape measure and a couple of wrenches.

Just make the front of the tire about 1/4" - 3/8" less than the rear side to side measurement. ONce that is done, if you have a 4x4 350, then you can adjust things equally on each side or a 4x4 250 you adjust the top adjuster to center the steering wheel.

I have not taken my truck in to have it aligned in probably 5 years. Done it myself each time and the tire wear is always just as it should be.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
ok. Just wanted to confirm. I dont have the crab-walk so Im not concerned. With new tires I want to be certain my tires are straight and get my steering wheel re-aligned properly.

Thanks again.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
one more thing, I had some "alignment kit" installed a couple years ago that everyone said was required to "fix" something Ford didnt do right. I had been told it was a one time thing but one shop I called recently said they might have to do it again. Are they trying to pad the bill or does it have to be redone periodically (or did I get screwed the first time)??

Thanks again.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
one more thing, I had some "alignment kit" installed a couple years ago that everyone said was required to "fix" something Ford didnt do right. I had been told it was a one time thing but one shop I called recently said they might have to do it again. Are they trying to pad the bill or does it have to be redone periodically (or did I get screwed the first time)??

Thanks again.

alignment kit
aka bushings to set the caster and camber, they come in fractions of degrees to keep your tires at the correct angle of attatck fore and aft as well as top to bottom
4 wheel alignment on a f series, is a NO
unless they break loose the spring shackles at the axle and correct any dog tracking, which you said you dont have.
both od my alignments were just a toe adjustment
I said TWO alignments on three trucks,
one on the 92 an done on the 02,
got a free one on the last trip to texas hit a big hole on I-30 now we are straight again:D

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
that helps but is the "kit" a one-timer or could it need to be replaced? IIRC it was over $100 just for the kit. Im gonna let the dealer do the align and they did not mention it but if it does get replaced then I want to be aware of what is or isnt necessary.

Thanks again, again.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
that helps but is the "kit" a one-timer or could it need to be replaced? IIRC it was over $100 just for the kit. Im gonna let the dealer do the align and they did not mention it but if it does get replaced then I want to be aware of what is or isnt necessary.

Thanks again, again.
WOW 100 buck
, its been awhile but 100 seems a bit high, what else did they change out?
if i remeber right shims were under 20

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58