wheel bearing assy

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
any difference on the aftermarket wheel bearing units? the last one I replaced was a factory unit, now I have to do the other side and im broke and want to use an aftermarket unit,, thought on them, do's and dont's...I was told the factory units use a plastic bearing cage, LAME, aftermarket I dont know.....

saint08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i put a duralast assembly in mine for $115 and haven't had any problems with it. I compared it to the Timken for $325 and decided to go witht he duralast. They both come with a 1 year warranty. Everybody told me to put the higher end unit in, but I didn't have the money at the time and don't have any regrets.

saint08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just make sure to get the unit with the same threads as your existing. I messed up and got the corse threaded and my existing unit was fine threaded so I could either replace the lug nuts or switch the lugs out.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
thing you gotta realize, NAPA, Auto Zone, Carquest and their house branded parts.. are all reboxed units.
someone else makes them, they just get put in that red & white (or blue & yellow) box.
bearings in particular are a hard duck to track, as even the supposed top quality ones are going to be made in China
I used to be a big fan of the name brands, Timken, National, SKF, etc..
now, I'm who cares...

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I know what you're saying about it's getting hard to tell the good bearings from bad.

Mrs TG used to have a 04 Cavalier which was having some chronic front wheel bearing issues. One front bearing would start making noise, we'd take it in to get fixed. A couple of months later, the other one started making noise and we'd take it in to get fixed. Well, a couple months later, bearing "A" would go bad again. Bearing "B" went bad again soon after.

We went round & round with this crap for quite a while, taking the car back to the shop at least 5 times. After the first repair for each side, it was a warranty issue. But it got to be rather annoying after the first 3 or 4 trips back to the shop.

I talked to the manager, he wasn't happy either cause he was eating the labor everytime. I asked him if he was getting the good bearings grom NAPA or the "budget" cheap ones. The cheap ones was the answer I got. I suggested that if he was getting sick & tired of seeing the car, that maybe he should put on some "lifetime" warranty bearings. Low & behold, once he put some more expensive bearings on, the problems went away. Go figure.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got mine from a guy on ebay. 120 delivered. I will get you the link. Mine were for a dually but get the right part number. lifetime too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58