Wheel Bearing Failure at 89,000

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been expecting this to happen due to the posts I've read on the subject. It was the Front Passenger side bearing on my 01'. I should probably buy one for the driver's side and set it on the shelf in the garage. My wife's 02' has 69,000 on it, so it's only a matter of time until we need another or two. I went OEM & a buddy helped me out by selling it for $330. Retail was supposedly $423. Has anyone found one for less that would be considered the same or higher quality than OEM?

I found the shocks to be weeping oil, must be time for new.

Dennis

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
I sell BCA/National Bearing brand which are the same as an OEM one to look at them side by side you can tell no difference.

Click here

If you don't want the seal and o-ring $260 for the hub bearing alone.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first one went out at 135,000 on the drivers front. Then the passenger side went out at 138k. Jus tgo ahead and replace them both.

wideopen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my Passenger side a couple of months ago.. @ 89,000 I got mine from Advanced Auto..$160(?) with a lifetime replacement warranty.. it looks identical to the OE..

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
drivers side at 86K... 103K now and the passenger side is still fine.. i would suggest replacing the seal and o-ring while i was in there... they are much cheaper than bearings

looks like most people have do one or both bearings sometime around 100k

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wideopen said:
I replaced my Passenger side a couple of months ago.. @ 89,000 I got mine from Advanced Auto..$160(?) with a lifetime replacement warranty.. it looks identical to the OE..

Lifetime Warranty!!!! My concern would be: are these of same quality as OEM or better. Looks can be deceiving, it's tolerances, quality and assembly that make the bearing. It's all relative. If the bearing only lasts half as long as OEM at half the price, I'll stick with OEM. But if if they last as long with LifeTime Warranty, now were talking! I don't want to replace bearings every 40,000. Last is, where are they made? I'm tired of giving money to CHINA!

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
BCA/National are the primary manufacturer for Hub Bearing assemblies and I would be willing to wager they are making them for Ford. I think Phil is off about $100 I just called the Advance here and was priced $273 :dunno

As far as giving $$ to China sadly it is going more and more that way each day :rolleyes:

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dale, I look forward to doing business with you. I replaced the yellow oring seal, but the dealer didn't have the inner seal which goes between steering knuckle & outer drive axle. They said that I needed a special tool to replace it anyway. What are your thought's? I would like to replace that seal.

Dennis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58