Question wheel bearings

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
How is the best way to find out if your front wheel bearings are on the way out if not all ready gone..

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Jack it up and check for play. Take the lock out off and check that needle bearing. Those will go bad too and are replaceable. I've never had the main hub bearing go bad though. If you plan on keepin yer truck for a very long time i would upgrade to the dynatrac free spin kit. Its expensive but totally serviceable with standard cone bearings like the older fords have.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Sorry Stroked68, but the 2000 and up trucks have UNIT BEARINGS and can't be replaced like you think. They are a unit and must be replaced as a unit (and for more $$$). Jack up the truck and grab the bottom and top of the tire and see if you can shake it. Don't grab the tire fore and aft as you will be feeling the tie rod ends.

Dave

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Sorry Stroked68, but the 2000 and up trucks have UNIT BEARINGS and can't be replaced like you think. They are a unit and must be replaced as a unit (and for more $$$). Jack up the truck and grab the bottom and top of the tire and see if you can shake it. Don't grab the tire fore and aft as you will be feeling the tie rod ends.

Dave

I know this BUT the needle bearing can be replaced. Gone and already done it to mine. That needle bearing has been made since 1966 I believe and Ford still carries them or you can go to aftermarket places. Yes I know the main big bearing cant be. Go to guzzles site and see it done. :sweet

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
When that needle bearing goes bad does it rumble like a wheel bearing did on the old fords.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
No. When it goes bad you get a snot-wad ful of play in the axle, and your 4WD lockout won't disengage..

your fuel economy goes to chit, and it'll garf the heck out of the stub axle, and probably wipe out the axle joint..

don't ask how I know this.. but you can probably figure it out...

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
No. When it goes bad you get a snot-wad ful of play in the axle, and your 4WD lockout won't disengage..

your fuel economy goes to chit, and it'll garf the heck out of the stub axle, and probably wipe out the axle joint..

don't ask how I know this.. but you can probably figure it out...

Also will take out the main axle seal. The really big one and you will probably have to replace the dust seal as well on the axle tube.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Also will take out the main axle seal. The really big one and you will probably have to replace the dust seal as well on the axle tube.

I also forgot it'll make your dog drink out of the toilet. :coffee

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
Thanks for this post - this is what is happening to mine right now. Time to install the new LPOP and do the needle bearings if I have'nt damaged the rest like you list. I have kept two spare hubs around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58