Wheel Hub Pops

mjneely

mj
Reaction score
Hey dudes...I got a problem...

I have an 02 Super Duty 4X4 with the 7.3L Diesel. I have a problem with the front hubs. Every time I start the truck the passenger side "pops"...like the hub is popping in or out. I replaced both front wheel bearings to fix a grinding issue I had, and thought it would fix this problem as well, but I was mistaken. I still have the pop every time I start the truck.

Any idea what may be causing this?

Thanx for your help!

Mj

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
We need some more information. Like do you have manual 4X4 with Manual hubs or ESOF (Shift on the fly) with Auto hubs?

Dave

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
are you sure it's not the climate system making the noise? not sure which part, maybe the recirculation dampner. (someone on here will know what I'm talking about) remember reading a ford TSB about it a years ago.

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does something similiar. the only way for me to recreate it was to rrelease the vacuum every time i shut the truck off. ended up being something with the a/c-heating system. doesnt affect operation so i left it be. no need to fix it if it aint broke. tird of fixing things on my ford. heck, i dont even notice it anymore.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
are you sure it's not the climate system making the noise? not sure which part, maybe the recirculation dampner. (someone on here will know what I'm talking about) remember reading a ford TSB about it a years ago.

Yes, you mean the door in the heater system making a loud clunk just about the same time you drive off. Wait for a minute before driving away and see if it clunks before you drive.

Dave

mjneely

mj
Reaction score
Hey dudes...I got a problem...

I have an 02 Super Duty 4X4 with the 7.3L Diesel. I have a problem with the front hubs. Every time I start the truck the passenger side "pops"...like the hub is popping in or out. I replaced both front wheel bearings to fix a grinding issue I had, and thought it would fix this problem as well, but I was mistaken. I still have the pop every time I start the truck.

Any idea what may be causing this?

Thanx for your help!

Mj
She has the Auto-Locking Hubs, with the switch on the dash. I miss the old days with the 4X4 shifter on the floor.

It's definetly on the passenger side. The sound is almost like someone hitting the truck! The first time it did it, it kind of caught me off guard and I was lookin around for some kids throwing soft ball or something! =)

When I changed the front wheel bearings, I noticed that the auto locking hubs were a little on the stiff side...hard to turn from Auto to Locked. Could that be the problem?

Thanx!

Mj

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres NOTHING wrong w/ the SEMI-AUTO HUBS...but like anything
mechanical they do require some PERIODIC attn.

you actually replaced the needle bearings/hubs ??? did you replace
all the seals ?

your HUBS being stiff is a CLEAR indication that periodic maint. hasnt
been kept up w/.

read these... they should help resolve the issues.
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Autolock Hub Lubrication Maintenance Web Page

if NONE of those resolve your issues then youll need to consider pulling the
axles and replacing the hub vac/seal & dust seal.

OR replace the hubs...
Hub Replacement pictures from hobbies & interests photos on webshots

mjneely

mj
Reaction score
I replaced the front wheel bearing assemblies...the $300 each ones! From those pics, I'm pretty sure the "needle bearings" were part of them.

I did not rebuild the hubs though. Are those seals/O-rings the only thing that needs to be changed?

Mike

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok probably PART of your problem...the 0-Rings...while i were there
i would do the O-Rings, the HUB SEAL & the Dust Shield.

if your truck is still running on the STOCK ball joints id do those too...
since youll be pretty much be there anyway.

to do the hub seal & dust seal you have to pull the front axles...really not
a big deal...but to make your life easier you should find someone to press
the hub seal on & off (slip the mechanics a 20 & some donuts or beer)...

sirthomas

BlackSmoke Reverend
Reaction score
my truck makes the same noise sometimes, I replaced my hub assembly,the knuckle and dust seals, and put on manual lockouts. none of this was due to that noise just all were bad. it still has the noise, sounds like something hitting the truck. I believe its in the HVAC system

go to this site and go to the maintenance section, it has a breakdown for going through your lockouts
Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Page

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg