When it is raining....truck shuts off

dcathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 f350, I live in SE Ga and when it is raining or damp outside the truck will begin acting up. When I am riding down highway and it starts it will have a sudden hitch and the SES light comes on. If I am in town and it starts it will just cutoff at redlights and when turning, etc. It only does this when raining so I am stumped b/c I cant get code to come on when dry outside? Any ideas, I talked with a fella that has same truck and he said his did this and he cahnged to a $100 air filter??? Whats he talking about b/c air filters are only $20

bigb56

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Check to see if the connector on the IDM is loose and water getting in.

dcathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where do I look for IDM and what all would need to be tightened> I had that replaced last year by my dad so maybe it worked loose. He also replaced the CPS about 4-5 months ago when this problem witht hte rain started.

JRJ04

Reaction score
well the IDM isnt in a great location...

It is up under the driver's side fender well. You have to loosen the bolts on the fender well and pull that hard plastic lining down. It will be mounted on the firewall. Just reach your hand up in there and you'll feel it. What you need to look for is if the wiring harness connected to it is loose. Also, it would not hurt to actually pull it off of its mounting bracket and inspect the box that its in. Make sure it is water-tight and that there is no water in it.

CPS...that could have been part of the issue...but this sounds more IDM related...

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the truck has an electrical problem . Seems like the wet conditions are grounding somthing out . Look for obviously bad or loose connections and go from there . I agree start with the IDM it's location makes it a very likely suspect .As a last result you could let the truck run and hose it down one area at a time and see if you can make it act up . Then you could narrow down the area . Good luck .

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
well the IDM isnt in a great location...

that's putting it mildy..

It is up under the driver's side fender well. You have to loosen the bolts on the fender well and pull that hard plastic lining down. It will be mounted on the firewall. Just reach your hand up in there and you'll feel it. What you need to look for is if the wiring harness connected to it is loose. Also, it would not hurt to actually pull it off of its mounting bracket and inspect the box that its in. Make sure it is water-tight and that there is no water in it.

if it's like mine, and water sloshes around in it...
that's BAD. :doh:

tbtrammell

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yah, my 00 was doing the same thing and it was the cps, mine also would die when hitting the brake pulling a three axle trailer, wouldn't do it with a two axle trailer. i guess the greater electrical load with the 6 electric magnets was affecting it. this was at the same time ford did the recall for the cps, that's when i realized my problem was solved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg