When others sell, we buy.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Well, an interesting turn of events has occurred concerning my wife's business.

Her mobile dog grooming business was going nowhere, until we changed the business plan to groom IN the house instead of in a converted van, which we were struggling to get. Financing a new one is darn near impossible.

As soon as we changed the plan, one of the search bots I had set to find a basic van that I can convert hit pay dirt. One Ford E-350 Super Duty Extended, at the right price, and the dealership made an offer I can't refuse. The best part of all, it's powered by a 6.0 Powerstroke with the TorqueShift transmission. So now we have TWO SuperDuty trucks.

The downside? It's in Ohio. I have to fly to Pittsburgh, the dealer picks me up at the airport, off to the dealership to sign the papers and get the keys. Then, a six hour drive to Delaware Water Gap where a conversion house will rip the roof off like a can opener and put in a high top, then load a conversion package in kit form in the back. Then I drive back to Florida.

Having just returned from the hospital, this will be interesting. A trip I could normally do in a day and a half will take me three days, as I don't want to push my luck, and keeping the speed down will increase the fuel economy of the truck, which with the high top installed, has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick. When it is finished, it will look similar to this van. That's the wife behind the wheel.
vanpix.jpg

Oh well, at least this truck will MAKE money, and the wife will get her van for about $35K less than a new one. We have a backlog of customers. There seems to be a gold mine in dirty dogs. :D Prayer does work!

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
richard
good to hear your healthy enough to do the drive ;tu

sounds like your bus. of dirty dogs is going to be a positive one

congrats

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Thanks, Robert. So far I've dodged the bullet twice this year. If I have learned anything through two hospitalizations, kidney and heart failure, and one operation that cracked open my chest and gave me a nice zipper, it is that I have to follow "Dirty Harry" Callahan's advice.

"A man's got to know his limitations!"

Twenty years ago, I could drive from Delaware Water Gap to Crestview in one sitting. Not any more. Three days, maybe more, and I will take my own private vacation on the way back. After all, the boss is paying for it! :D She's the CEO. My unofficial title is CSS. That stands for Chief **** Shoveler.

I've been retired from the Air Force for twelve years. The wife now expects me to act like an old retired military fart and slow down. So do the doctors. So I'm taking their advice. I don't want to find out if the third time is the charm.

Last edited:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Thanks, Stephen. I'm very pleased to hear that the Peterbilt sold and you were able to keep your truck. What would Albertville be without the presence of your chromed beauty of a truck rolling down the streets?;tu

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Richard;

Sounds like you are on the road to recovery, and the family will have a new van. Every day is a blessing.. Enjoy each and every day.
Congratulations on your business venture.
:sweet

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Her mobile dog grooming business was going nowhere, until we changed the business plan to groom IN the house instead of in a converted van, which we were struggling to get.

Glad your plans are coming together :sweet but I am confused. If you are going to groom "IN house" instead of in a "converted van" then why do you need the van? Keep in mind that I confuse easily and I am half asleep.;)

Fine69

Reaction score
Great news Richard, send me a PM if you can when your in Pittsburgh, we can show you the sites!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ROAD TRIP !!!! man i love a good road trip !

congrats on the good find !

Blue01F250

Boomer Sooner!
Reaction score
thats sweet! and you ain't kidding when you say pets are a goldmine for those that sell things for them -- we are looking at starting a pet "boutique" in our home down that is 2 hours form the nearest pet store :)

good luck with the business and congrats on a good deal on the van!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58