When to get head studs?

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When do you get head studs? Is there a certain threshold that once you pass on HP you need head studs? Obviously if the motor goes, then do it, I am just trying to figure when is the time to do it, what is safe HP for the stock 6.0?

Is it once your above 450RWHP? or close to 500RWHP?

Or if you can point me to a site that has some specifics on the 6.0. Sorry for the ignorant question, just trying to learn.

Thanks Guys

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i'm not sure if there is a specific number cuz there have been quite few with basically no mods blow em maybe someone else can getya a better answer

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Man, does any body have idea of what kind of power the automatic transmission can take? At what point do you have to get a built transmission?
If your going to shoot for 425 to 450 HP area, will a stock transmission take that kind of power? Regular everyday driving 80miles plus, light tow rarely, and race a rice machine sometimes.

Again, if anyone has a FAQ link page they can shoot me too, much appreciated.

Thanks guys

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
My 05 has never been on a dyno... but my SCT HP test said it was pushing 457... i imagine that isn't getting to the ground but it runs extremely well... and my torque-shift tranny has had no problems at all handling the power and i have driven 20,000+ miles with it on my extreme tune.. but that is a custom tune... if you're wanting to push around 400hp with no problems and beat the ricers then I would say give eric a call from innovative diesel... he is the one you read about in all the magazines... here is the link to their website http://http://innovativediesel.com/contact.html

good luck.. I don't think anyone will argue against SCT custom tuning when it comes to 6.0 performance..

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Mine needed when it started puking its guts up (coolant puking out the degas bottle)

HG can fail whether stock or souped up.

As far as the tranny, I guess it depends on how hard you are on it.

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please excuse the ignorance, just trying to clarify a few things. I have heard from a couple of sources, that if you do the head studs on a 6.0, you have to lift the entire cab to do it. Very labor intensive, is this correct? I have a mobile mechanic that is very reasonably priced and does great work. Is there anyway it can be done without lifting the cab or its too hard because there is not enough room? Just asking, I am not a mechanic and don't claim to be one. And if you have to lift the cab, I would assume the easiest way to do it is with a car lift?

Thanks for the help Guys.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The cab needs to be lifted to get the heads back on. THe studs stick up too much to get back on without lifting.

Dave

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
yeah what the guys said... and i don't think it makes much difference what year you choose.. the 05 and new trucks look a lil different and ride a little smoother cause of the different front ends... the 07 trucks have better turbos... i think it all depends on your budget and what kind of miles the truck has

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14