where can I find turbo bolt?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was fiddling w/my turbomaster wastegate actuator tonight and noticed that the top 2 bolts that hold the flange between the compressor housing and the turbine housing, to the turbine, were out. Found one laying loose on the housing and have been unable to find the other, even w/a magnet and some blind probing. I guess I didn't tighten them properly when I replaced it last winter...or maybe I assumed they were tight when I got it ...

These are the odd small-headed bolts that a 5/16 9pt box-end wrench fits over. They're also used on the other side to attache the elbow to the compressor housing. Any ideas on how to scrounge just one?????? :dunno Thanks.

Last edited:

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TG - thanks. Next time I have it out that will be on the bill...for now, I just wanna find 1 bolt. Any idea of the thread size?

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I lost some bolts when I had a 7.3 and the local Ford dealer mechanic had a few laying around in his tool box. They also had them by the bag at the parts counter.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
f100- that's good to know!

I remembered tonight that we have a '2000 7.3 IDI with a little turbo on it at work. It is under cover but slowly rusting away. Sure 'nuf, it appears to have those bolts so I think I'll scavenge a couple from there. Sort of nice to see the back side of the engine in the open!

My main worry now is whether that back bolt is gone too! That would really suck since I truly doubt it can be reached w/o removing all the plumbing.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow-up ??? I'm going to use hi-temp red loctite. Any idea of the torque setting for these? Thanks!

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ford's fix for this is a bolt set with a tighter thread fit P/N 1C3Z-9G486-AA. I'm sure that red loctite will do the job just as well. The torque spec is 30 ft/lbs. Gil:sweet

dmd

Reaction score
You can find them laying all over the roads, just look close :0 Mine fell out
or were loose before 20,000 miles.

Before the new locking bolts people would even use the ceramic locking juice and
they would still come loose. I am sure it will just cook out the red locktite too.

Short term just replace it, long term they need the new bolts.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford's fix for this is a bolt set with a tighter thread fit P/N 1C3Z-9G486-AA. I'm sure that red loctite will do the job just as well. The torque spec is 30 ft/lbs. Gil:sweet

Many thanks! Do you know if IH would have the same tighter thread bolt, or was that a true Ford Fix?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58