Help Needed Where do I find the chip on my 02, 7.3?

RogerR

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had to take my 02 powerstroke in for an emision test and they told me it has a chip, putting out 240 HP to the wheels, the boost is too high and kicked the check engine on briefly which caused a FAILED test even though the emisions were low enough. Now I need to find where the chip is so I can remove it and get re-tested. HELP PLEASE.

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well one of two places that I know of hopefully #1 which would be into the back of the computer brain on the lower left kick panel behind the emergency brake. You will prob need to unsecure the plastic blk cover and two screws. This will gain you access to the silver/metal finish computer brain if there is no black plug with a bar code then you will see a chip slid onto the chip board. If there is a plug look under it just to make sure it doesnt have a chip should be green board with small metal lines on it = stock no mod or chip. The second location would be the data plug kind of rectangled shape under the lower dash panel/ fuse panel directly below the steering collum to the right side. Normally if it's this kind it would be plugged in programed and then unplugged leaving the program on the computers software. If you dont have the programer the only way to un do this is to have the computer brain re-flashed by a Ford dealer. That's my :2c

dpantazis

Reaction score
as far as the testing goes, tell them hogwash! you iirc, the stock motor, no mods is good for like 260-275 hp. are you a 7.3 or 6-no?

have a look at the wiki pages for chip installation if 7.3. your pcm could be flashed too and not have a chip installed.

RogerR

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

It is a 7.3, they said the boost pressure is too high because of the chip which is what flashed the check engine light on. I checked the places where police stroker said to look for the chip and it has none so it must have been programed and not sold the programer with the truck. I have an apointment tomorrow to get the stock program put back in till after I get the emissions test for the county. Thanks. RogerR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58