Where I spend my days now----

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I thought I'd post up some pics of the facilities where I'm going to school. We're about 2/3 way thru our first semester of 4. The riff-raff is getting weeded out. The kids just out of high school who still think school is a joke and play on-line poker or Facebook during lectures are begining to disappear. They'll see how funny they think it is when mommy & daddy want their $4,000 or so tuition back that got flushed down the toilet.

Our program is tougher than others on campus. They require a 50% to 60% to pass the course with a "D". If you decide to stay home, who cares? As long as you do all the assignments and take all the tests, you pass.

Our program is regulated by the FAA. You have be in attendance in class for a total of just shy of 2000 class hours over the 4 semester/ 2 year period. If you are gone for any reason, you MUST make it up. Also, you have to pass all class work with a minimum of 70%, again a FAA rule.

Anyhow, here are the pics:
Cessna 150L that we use for a lot of our lab work. Behind the Cessna is a Mitsubishi MU-2
View attachment 10517

Work bench area where we do a lot of lab work. You can see my toolbox, second on the right with the plywood on the top as a work surface.
View attachment 10518

Here is an AeroCoupe and a helicopter turbine engine used as learning aides.
View attachment 10519

This is the engine lab. We won't be doing much in here until next year. You can see a cut-away of a recip radial engine.
View attachment 10520

This is a working jet engine on a test stand. It was originally on a Navy P-2 Neptune Subchaser. The second year class was outside running it this week while a FAA rep was visiting our class. He was rather impressed the school had such a learning aid available. Behind it is the Mitsubishi MU-2.
View attachment 10521

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is a good school! The FAA does have the minimums as you said. And they are tough. FAA certified schools are no free lunch. The same applies to the pilots licenses. I got my SEL license in college. Fun but a lot of work. Good luck TG.

Dave :)

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Kent, We sure miss ya' around here.... Thanks for sharing, Sure sounds like a lot of hard work ahead of you. all the best of luck, And come by more often when you get the time.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
sweet fun house!

slightly off topic, TG- i saw the b-52 special on military channel last night, very cool stuff.

anyway, post more pics when you start tearing into those engines!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
.......TG- i saw the b-52 special on military channel last night, very cool stuff......

I saw it too, got it on the DVR. I'll record to DVD later.

I even knew the guy they were talking to. He was a young co-pilot back in my day. I pulled out my old flight records in order to see if I'd ever flown the old BUFF on the pole, no records of it.

I was rather befuddled by the apparent understated weapons carrying ability as discussed on the program. I think they said the G & H model BUFFs could carry 27 500lb bombs. They didn't mention the additonal 24 that could be carried under the wings. The old D models (retired since about 1985 and all chopped up since then) had a modified bomb bay that could 84 500lb bombs in addition to the 24 under the wings for a total of 108 500lb bombs!!!

There is a new weapon coming out, called the Small Diameter Bomb or SBD. It is supposed to be carryable by about all US bomb dropping aircraft. It's smaller, lighter, GPS guided and still packs a large explosive capability. With modified bomb racks, it shouldn't take much to again get a BUFF to carry 100+ bombs.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58