Where is the best place to mount Pyro Probe?

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
With the addition of the Wildman tunes on my truck I have now purchased a pyro gauge from autometer. My question is where is the best place to mount the pyro probe? Autometer suggests 1-2 inches behind turbo exhaust outlet. I have to drill and tap hole so it doesn't matter to me where I got to put the probe as long as it is accurate. Also, let me know what temps to be aware of at the desired location, it is my understanding that the exhaust temps will be very different at turbo exhaust outlet and at manifold outlet. Thanks

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
HERE is a full set of instructions from ITP, scroll down to page 17 for a picture. I did the pre-turbo install and tapped the exhaust manifold on the bottom of the drivers side just as is instructed to do in ITP's PDF.

Richard, TDS?....puhleeze:Lala

Michael

Gauge Guy
Reaction score
Definitely install your probe pre-turbo! The 1250° F limits mentioned above are pre-turbo. The temperature difference between Pre- and Post-turbo can vary drastically depending on driving conditions (anywhere from 50°F to 500°F or more).

The old wives tales about thermocouple probes breaking off are from the old days of laboratory-style thermocouples with exposed welded junctions. Modern thermocouples have the junction incased in a stainless or inconel housing.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58