Where to buy 2008 differential cover?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
thanks for the website link red.

That clear cover is wild, at least you could see what was
goin on in there.

your welcome:D

as a side note: can someone actually comment as to how much the 'fins' actually help cool the fluid? is it that drastic?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant, but i installed one...figure if ford did it on the 08's
there MIGHT have been a reason (cause god knows it cost
ford MORE to install the alum. one than the stamp'd one i had).

i shot my rear diff w/ a laser thermometer after i put the factor 08
cover on and it read 114* (i wasnt runnin' interstate or towing either !)

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i cant, but i installed one...figure if ford did it on the 08's
there MIGHT have been a reason (cause god knows it cost
ford MORE to install the alum. one than the stamp'd one i had).

i shot my rear diff w/ a laser thermometer after i put the factor 08
cover on and it read 114* (i wasnt runnin' interstate or towing either !)

I'll take a shot at it, but keep in mind, I could be totally wrong.

This is how I see it. Could it be that the fins allow more surface area
for the heat to disipate thru?

Kinda the same way a finger-joint in wood working, lets the glue have more surface area and therefore creates a stronger bond?

I dont know, this is just theory according to bama. :dunno

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
I have a new 08 dif cover, with bolts and washers, you can have for $50, plus shipping.

bob- who you talking to? dang, wish i could come up w/ $50. i'd be on it in a heartbeat.

bama: i too figure the fins help aid in cooling but getting more technical just wondering if anyone can speak to as how much. is it sigificant? sounds like bush tried but did not get enough testing (old vs. new/ towing and not)...

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I guess if you made two identical trips, driving the same distance, the same mph, etc, one trip with the stock cover and then the next trip with aluminum cover, then measure the temp at the end of both trips, we could have a definate answer. (sorry for the lack of use of periods.......)

Fine69

Reaction score
bob- who you talking to? dang, wish i could come up w/ $50. i'd be on it in a heartbeat.

bama: i too figure the fins help aid in cooling but getting more technical just wondering if anyone can speak to as how much. is it sigificant? sounds like bush tried but did not get enough testing (old vs. new/ towing and not)...

I was just replying to the original poster, just read this post for the first time. But the cover is available for any SDD member. My girlfriend accidently bought me a Mag-Hytec rear dif cover AND a new 08 rear dif cover for Christmas, she saw that I was looking at both of them, not sure which one I wanted. So, she didn't know they were basiclly the same part, and bought them both.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are half correct. The fins allow for more surface area for the heat to be "dissipated" to the surrounding air. Also, the aluminum is better at exchanging heat than steel, steel will hold allot of the heat in itself for a longer time. Aluminum will take on the heat of the oil faster, and in turn, release it to the air faster.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at any air cooled engine and you will see fins, especially on the heads. This allows air to move through the fins rather than over a flat surface.

I am not sure how much extra heat it will dissipate but it surely has to be better than the flat steel cover.

IMHO, it also looks better too!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58