Where to install trailer light plug?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I bought a new trailer 7pin/4 flat trailer light plug for the back of my truck. Mine has been spliced sooooooooo many times and sometimes I have to do the jiggle dance to get my trailer lights to work. Im wondering if I should relocate where the plug in goes since we have LOTS of salt here in the winter. I would like to move it maybe to the inside of the bed like where the 5th wheel guys do. I would have to get a trailer wire extension but im cool with that. Anyone have any other ideas? Im also gonna fix the accessory plug in so I dont have to have the truck in the "on" position to run my trailer inside lights and will also be adding a charging wire to charge up a battery on my trailer. Any insight on this project or suggestions? Thanks everyone!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it inside the bed behind the wheel well,
just make sure the back of the plug is sealed
well from moisture.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new trailer 7pin/4 flat trailer light plug for the back of my truck. Mine has been spliced sooooooooo many times and sometimes I have to do the jiggle dance to get my trailer lights to work. Im wondering if I should relocate where the plug in goes since we have LOTS of salt here in the winter. I would like to move it maybe to the inside of the bed like where the 5th wheel guys do. I would have to get a trailer wire extension but im cool with that. Anyone have any other ideas? Im also gonna fix the accessory plug in so I dont have to have the truck in the "on" position to run my trailer inside lights and will also be adding a charging wire to charge up a battery on my trailer. Any insight on this project or suggestions? Thanks everyone!

I've got a 7 pin in both places.. under the bumper, for the Boat, and on the left rear, inside bed wall, for the 5r. I git just as much Crap & Corruption in one, as the other.

We don't get the Salt, but we get months of Wet, Damp, Foggy soup. What helps is: seal'm good with silicon sealer.. let it dry, then Tape the H*ll out of'm. Two, Three times year I Spray the connection sides with Electrical Contact Cleaner, use mini screw driver to spread the pins a bit..keep on truck'n.

There Ain't No permanent Fix, and location don't seem to help either, IMO ?

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I used to knock out a license plate light and cut the hole bigger and put it in there, always was a drastic improvement, even before these newer plugs that the harness plugs into the back. They definitely give less trouble. Having a cord hanging over your tailgate all the time would be a pain to me :dunno

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on this one. Having a cord hanging over your tailgate all the
time would be a pain to me.
Doug

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
I would suggest you talk to someone who rigs boats to see how they seal electrical connections on watercraft. Maybe do some internet searches on coastal mariners and their tricks for sealing out salt and moisture, which is identical to what you face in your area in the winter.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will do some more research on this. I want to do it right the first time. There is a plug in under the truck to plug in a new trailer connector but the ones at the autoparts place didnt come close to fitting. I was hoping for a plug n play thing. Oh well, custom wiring i can do it MY WAY. Its probably for the best:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58