Where to tap?

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
I am getting my gauges installed next week. I was wondering where the best place to have them tap the pyro, pre or post turbo? Thanks

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
usually there is a plug on top of the container covered by a plastic disc. insert tap and turn a quarter turn:D :D

oh sorry
pyro drivers side aft exhaust manifold there is a flat spot on the 7.3 and a rounded/flat on the 6.0
boost is easy, splice the map line.
Got Diesel said:
I am getting my gauges installed next week. I was wondering where the best place to have them tap the pyro, pre or post turbo? Thanks

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yep, where powerboatr said. Pre-turbo drivers side exh manifold just before the up-pipe. Make sure they grease the hell out of the drill bit and tap to prevent metal filings from going up into the exhaust manifold.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The pyro on our '02 is installed pre-turbo on the driver's side manifold(rear most) shop-vac will pull out any stray shavings :sweet

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
So for these trucks we want the pyro to be pre turbo, for a pre turbo or post turbo set up what is the reccomended temp levels?

Tennessee Titan

Eddie Henson
Reaction score
Got Diesel said:
So for these trucks we want the pyro to be pre turbo, for a pre turbo or post turbo set up what is the reccomended temp levels?

As for temps pre and post turbo, your most accurate readings will be pre-turbo in the up-pipe. I believe those temps should not exceed 1250*. Post turbo temps are gonna be a couple hundred degrees higher, but I wouldn't rely on those being that accurate, since you may have toasted your turbo by the time you reach the "never exceed" temp ( someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). :thumbs

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Tennessee Titan said:
Post turbo temps are gonna be a couple hundred degrees higher, but I wouldn't rely on those being that accurate, since you may have toasted your turbo by the time you reach the "never exceed" temp ( someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). :thumbs

Actually POST Turbo temps will be a couple of hundred degrees LOWER not higher as you are further from the heat source. But it varies by condition as to how much difference there is between pre and post temps. Pre-turbo is by far the most accurate method.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I feel like the IRS, only answering half the question per call, please wait your question will answered in ...... 3 0 minutes :D :roflmao
preturbo 1250 is a good ADVISORY temp. its time to watch closley the further application of the GO pedal,
1300 - 1350 is said to be a " wholly Cow" we maystart to develope problems
and should start to let off the GO pedal
I have seen transients through 1600 only for a very quick pulse then it dropped back to 1250 or so.
I am sure some have seen hihger as well, it all depends on your exhaust, tuners or chip, some chips now have safety features you can set to defuel at a preset temp to reduce the rsik of putting a hole in the piston
my 7.3 was i feel petty tolerant to some spikes but i never let her run sustained above 1300. towing the fiver i would hold it at 1200, on a long pull or merging in traffic.
as for the 6.0 to early to tell, i am sure the above temps are the same. the pistons are only alum, and it will not just get soft, at extreme heat,,,,
it will go from solid to liguid QUICK
aslo i have been told by some that they have run at 1400 preturbo for extened times with no issues.
I am sure folks in teh know will add to this , but be safe and use 1250 as a safe temp and 1300 as a warning to back off and 1350 as a never exceed and you should have a long life from the old girl

all in moderation :thumbs

Got Diesel said:

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. That helps alot. Not to highjack my own thread, but I was wondering if it was safe to run all the time on the 100 horse setting with the Edge Evolution. Granted I keep my foot out of it most of the time, as to save the mpg's. I just like being able to dump more smoke than my buddy with his 01 Cummins HO with 100 horse injectors. Thanks.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yes, its safe, but you'll know more after your guage install is complete. Dont let your EGT's run away from you and if you are doing alot of hard driving monitor the trans temps closely as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14