where's the oil going

markiemark79

2001 f250 7.3 all stock
Reaction score
First thing i have to say is this site is great. ive got a 2001 7.3 with 77000 miles on it and it is all stock. My question is, does anyone else have a problem of burning 1-2 quarts of oil every 500 miles? The truck doesn't smoke, nor could i find any leaks on it. Is this normal or should this be something i should be worried about?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Injector o-rings is the most likely culprit. Second bet might be turbo bearings/seals.

Welcome to SDD, where are you in the Central Valley?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome Markiemark79. Glad you are here. Good luck gettin your oil problem solved. I think it is the o rings, but I don't own that engine.

Dave

markiemark79

2001 f250 7.3 all stock
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Injector o-rings is the most likely culprit. Second bet might be turbo bearings/seals.

Welcome to SDD, where are you in the Central Valley?
live in the suburbs of modesto. ill have to look into the o-rings then, thanks.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
markiemark79 said:
live in the suburbs of modesto. ill have to look into the o-rings then, thanks.
I used to work in Stockton, again, welcome to the site and for a quick check, pull your fuel filter and see if the element is REALLY black. Thats a sure sign of oil getting into the fuel from the o-rings.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
markiemark79 said:
First thing i have to say is this site is great. ive got a 2001 7.3 with 77000 miles on it and it is all stock. My question is, does anyone else have a problem of burning 1-2 quarts of oil every 500 miles? The truck doesn't smoke, nor could i find any leaks on it. Is this normal or should this be something i should be worried about?
I'm thinking it is blowing out the CCV. 1-2 quarts every 500 miles isn't enough to make her smoke.

One thing to keep in mind is that quite a few of these 7.3 liter engines liked to run a quart to a quart and a half low. What I mean is that in my old truck (1995 7.3) I would top it off and 500 miles later it would be a quart low. I finally got sick of it and left it be, figuring I'd start filling it back up at 2 quarts low to cut back on my time filling it up. Funny thing is it stopped using oil at 1 quart low, and stayed there at 1 quart low for the next 5000 miles.

From my perusal "over there" I am thinking that this is not uncommon in the 7.3. My 99 likes to be about a half quart low.

My recommendation? keep a CLOSE EYE on it and stop refilling it when it goes low. See if it stops using at some set spot, like 1 to 1.5 quarts low. If it does, then just leave it there and drive it. I don't think it'll have problems running on "only" 13 quarts of oil... :D

I think when it gets too full, it spits the excess oil out the CCV and uses it up butt quick. Like I said, once my truck got down a quart, it wouldn't use another drop for 5K. Give it a shot...

markiemark79

2001 f250 7.3 all stock
Reaction score
well i just found out that my engine is at the 5 year 100,000 mile limit ending on august 12th, so hopefully ford will be picking up the repair costs on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14