which chainsaw?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want a chainsaw. I looked at Lowes the other day and they all felt cheap and crappy. I want something dependable and solid and not cheap and plastic. With price a consideration, what would you recommend? I am thinking about a 20" and preferably under 250$. It would just be for routine firewood and fallen limb/small tree duty.

Thanx!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a 30" Stihl Chain saw and in my opinion, Stihl makes the best chain saw. You can find 20" Stihl saws.

Dave

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I have the Stihl 036...................$500-$600

Tbar

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you Dave. Tried cheaper brands that only dissapointed me, till I found Stihl. Never looked back.

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my advice dont buy from lowes or other stores. find a dealer in the area, the big stores really arent much help when some thing breaks on it and the dealer will help you find the right one for you. if you want quality go with a husqvarna or stihl they are both nice. i have 2 husqvarnas a 50 and a 575 and love them both

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Husqvarna or stihl. Like good tools or guns, you get what you pay for. They hold their value and last long enough to pass down to your kids.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
My first Stihl I got from my dad. All metal designed and started on the second pull almost every time.....it was 15-20 years old.

When someone relieved me of if in a parking lot the wife and I went looking for a new one. They had the consumer models and the professional models which were more money. One feature this one had that I like was the decompression easy start which was attractive due to my then recent shoulder surgery. The wife helped me make up my mind..............she said this will be the last saw you ever buy..........get a good one !!!

I wasn't excited about the plastic parts but the dealer told me it made the saw lighter and cheaper to repair if broken.............I thought yea right, this is just a sales pitch............until two months later I dropped part of a tree on it......but that is another story. I think it only cost me around $50.00 to get it fixed.....I was kind of amazed. My old saw would have been totaled.

Tbar

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I believe $tihl makes the most durable chain saws but I've owned a Husqvarna chain saw and brush cutter for 12 years and they're stihl :D running good as new.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
You can find used Stihl and Husqvarna at most saw shops. You should be able to save quite a bit by buying a used saw. Look it over well and ask to run it. Now if you are doing lots of saw work (daily) go new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58