Which chip?

Diezel Dawg

vvv Real NW Truck
Reaction score
The Horsepower ratings arent different., The difference between the two is the F6 u can get your tunes emailed to u and u can put them on, where as the F5 u cannot.

20 mpg still seems a little high for what u got. could be true.

Clint, u ar ein the AF? What do u do? Im vehicle Maintenance, currently deployed to Afghanistan

JRJ04

Reaction score
you are spot on there DD! It really depends on whether or not you are going to be doing any fine tuning with things. If you are, its better to get the F6 becasue you can install it on your truck and just leave it. Then as you need to make changes while youre getting everything lined up the way you want it, all you have to do is upload the new tunes to your chip from your laptop.

Jody is a great guy to talk to. Give him a call and tell him what your wanting to achieve and he can get you all set up. He writes tunes that range from towing 20k lb loads all the way to taking your truck to the race tracks.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20 mpg still seems a little high for what u got. could be true.

I agree that 20 mpg seems a bit high. My 02 7.3 2WD gets around 17 combined city/highway and 20 highway and it's got 265/75 16's (same size as factory originals). I also try to keep the rpm's below 2000, even on takeoffs.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Whats yalls opinion on buying a used f-5 chip? I found this chip on another website. Not sure about the terminology either.

f5 with wire and box 250 plus shiping jka4 code live tunes for stage 2 splits

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies guys. greatly appreciated. i have 285/75/r16 right now. i forgot if that is larger than stock or not. so i guess you were right about the lie-o-meter! i calculated it today and it was only 20 mpg. but i am still happy with that. so if i wanted to sell my superchip whats the best route there? ebay? or i could post it locally on craigslist i guess. what is the SES light? havent had any problems with that. iy would be nice to have something i could change on the fly. so why does the overhead gauge say 24? is there any way to correct this?

Your calculation is still off becase your tires have a larger circumference than the OE.. your truck is actually getting about 17mpg because you're covering more ground than what your odometer is registering.

But I agree with what's been said about the chips..
Hyperchips seem to freak out the Lie-O-Meter
DPTuner is the way to go.
That's what I have.
We're towing 5,900 lbs three or four times a week and laying down 13-15 mpg doing it.

If nothing else, I'm getting an additional 100-125 miles per tank of fuel over what I was before I put the chip in (18 months ago) so it's paid for itself many times over..

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats yalls opinion on buying a used f-5 chip? I found this chip on another website. Not sure about the terminology either.

f5 with wire and box 250 plus shiping jka4 code live tunes for stage 2 splits

If memory serves me right you will have no warranty when buying used. see their website

wyomingoutlaw1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If your SpeedO is on then your computer was reset for the larger tires so everything you are calculating should be close. I have a Superchip, made for towing, 60hp/180ft.lbs and I've gotten 20 Mpg if I stay out of the Turbo all the time, I get 15+ towing, so it is possible and i do all of my calculations the old fashioned way and I know my math is correct... My truck seems to like the 305/70R16 tires from Nitto, but I have the 285/75's right now and they are pretty good, about 18-19 Mpg.... There are so many different factors that affect your Mpg, tires, tire pressure, the amount of tire actually touching the highway, etc... etc.... etc.... So, if you are getting 20 mpg and you know your speedo is correct than I would leave it alone if you like your PWR etc....

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
my question now is with me going with a DP tuner, what upgrades are a must? im getting the high idle, 60 hp tow, 80 hp econo, 120 hp race. as is said in my signature, i have an airraid intake, MBRP exhaust and ISSPro gauges on the way. what else do i need?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg