Question Which Chip

waynebudke

Chris
Reaction score
I am picking up my 2002 250 with the:coffee 7.3 tomorrow. I have driven the truck and it drives just like everyone says. Sluggish with hard shifts. Which chip do you guys recommend, those of you that have the 7.3. I want y'all's input before I buy. I have heard the TS is a good one. This truck is gonna be a camper puller, not a racer. I want power to pull and good mileage.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am picking up my 2002 250 with the:coffee 7.3 tomorrow. I have driven the truck and it drives just like everyone says. Sluggish with hard shifts. Which chip do you guys recommend, those of you that have the 7.3. I want y'all's input before I buy. I have heard the TS is a good one. This truck is gonna be a camper puller, not a racer. I want power to pull and good mileage.

Does it have gauges ? EGT, Boost & Tranny temp ?

If not.. most everyone on SDD.com would highly recommend you install gauges.. before you do Any Tweaking.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
X2 on what Joe said. Get gauges before you put on any chip. You can burn up an engine if you are not careful. Good Luck.

Dave :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I run Autometer gauges and many here like Issopro. I have one of those pillar gauge holders. There are the usual over head and under dash gauge holders, also.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So can you guys recommend some good gauges. Or gauge packs.

If you poke the Forums button, at the top of This page.. yul see Links to our Site sponcors.. at the top of that page.

The gauge "Bundles", with everything yul need.. parts wize.. are very competitively priced.. and Brand wize.. favored by most of the SDD members here.

There are also Chip & Programmers out there that have a Digital readout modules or gauges.. to tell you whats going on.

Ya jus' need to shop 'round some.. and find what suits yer fancy ?

(Yul learn to Operate yer PSD.. Not jus' Drive it... with gauges..especially when yer Towing.)
Joe

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put gages on the truck first then next would be a 4 in turbo back exhaust.
You say it has hard shifts, have you checked the ATF in the truck to make sure it
don't have a burn smell or a dark brown color.
The Transmission is the weakest part of these trucks and they are not cheap to fix.
The 7.3 will last forever if taken care of. Good luck with your new to you truck.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 with all these guys. I went with glowshift gauges since I was on a budget. A lot of guys don't like them because they're cheap, but I haven't had any issues with them performing. One of the led's went out, but they replaced the gauge no problem. I figured I could replace them with autometers as funds increased ha ha. The pilar pod and 3 gauges came to 200 on eBay. Def go with a wider exhaust to keep the egts down and take a look a the dp tuners, really woke my motor up. I haul between 5 and 13k (dump trailer, flatbed, skidsteer and mini excavator) an the 80hp tow tune works great.

I got all the advice from all the guys on here. They know their stuff.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I run autometer ultra lites. I have the triple gauges, egt, boost and trans temp. Some people install a diff temp gauge on their trucks but dont know how good those work. I would do DIY intake, 4" turbo back exhaust and gauges first. THEN do the chip. I would even do some of the DIY mods in the wiki to wake it up a bit. They are way cheaper than a chip and you will notice a diff in power and mileage.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah! Forgot about the wiki ha ha. Def check that out!

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58