Which coolant is the best to use?

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
I found this website which states:

For all you PowerStroke owners:
The answer to your coolant additives is CAT EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT. This is a premixed coolant for all engines with cavitations problems. Just flush out other coolant. Takes approx 5 1/2 gals @ approx $6.00 per gal. All the info is under CATERPILLAR'S WEB SITE www.cat.com Check with any Heavy Equipment or Road Truck dealer, most carry. This coolant is good for 300,000 miles do not add water or additives.

Now that we got the beast back together and running, sounds very sweet I might add, we want to clean out the coolant system since diesel was getting into the reservior.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for this?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Cherokee said:
Does anyone have any good recommendations for this?

I found this for you.

There is a radiator drain pet**** on the bottom of the radiator on the driver's side. That drains the radiator. There are also 2 block drain plugs-one just behind the oil filter housing at a 45* angle, and the other at the same angle just above the starter on the passenger side. I was able to get the driver's side plug out, but was unable to do the passenger side. If you go after the passenger side plug, REMEMBER to disconnect both batteries. I drained the system as best I could then refilled with tap water. Sealed the system up, ran around for approx. 5 miles, and then came back and drained it out. I did that 2 times. During one of those drains, I added a t-fitting in the heater hose just to the passenger side of the fuel filter and housing cover (that's the hose that goes from the top of the water pump over into the firewall). That t-fitting I bought at an auto parts store, and came as part of the Prestone Flush-N-Fill kit. I clamped it on using the 2 hose clamps provided in the kit. After the 2 flushes and refills, I then attached my garden hose to that t, opened the radiator pet**** and driver's side drain plug, and let the hose run. I also started the engine and let it run for a few minutes. After all that, I ran the hose into the degas bottle to try and get some of the dark colored crap stuck in there and then let it drain. After that, I installed a 203* thermostat and aluminum t-stat housing as well as a coolant filter system I purchased from Bob Riley. I installed the filter just under the driver's side seat with valves. I installed it because the PSD block has been known to have SCA's, rust, sand from the forge process, etc. floating around. I installed valves at the in and out ports of the filter housing because the filter unit is below the coolant system, and if you take the filter off without those, the coolant will start to pour out with no way to stop it. If you want pictures I can send you some, but would need your e-mail. A good install page on a variety of topics is at FMTRVT's webpage. I can't seem to install the link here, but if you go to ford-trucks.com and search for his name and then go into his profile, you can find it there.

I then added 3.5 gals. "WeatherPro" I got from a local International dealer. That WeatherPro is the same as the low silicate "Fleetrite" coolant mine needs. After those 3.5 gals., I added 3 8 oz. bottles of DCA4 I bought from the same Int'l dealer, and then completed it by added the necessary amount of DISTILLED water. Distilled because it has much less mineral content. I bought my SCA test strips from Dieselmann, and came in 4 to a package. There is a chart on the back that shows how to read them. I've read that the normal SCA range is 1.3-2.2. I wouldn't bother trying to find out if any additive was put in there since you're going to change the system out anyway. I check the system every couple of days and add distilled water as needed since there will most likely be air trapped in the system until it works it's way out. SCA's need to be checked (I think) around 2 weeks after this process to check the level.

The owner's manual I think says it's an 8 gal. system, but you will be lucky to get 6-7 since there will be around 1 gal. lying resident in the block. After you add the coolant and SCA's, you will only end up putting around 2 gals. of distilled water. That's because of the water/fluids that will never come out of the bottom of the block. Also, after the drains and refills, be careful because the water will be VERY hot. When you drive around, remember to turn the heater up to full temp and full fan. Good luck !

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would like to use that coolant BUT what i have read and understand it is NOT compatibale with our year model of engines.

ANY G-05 or gold coolant is suppose to be BAD for our engines. i dont know but its what i have read.

also any ELC(extended life coolant) is also not compatibale with our engines.

something about reactions with the cooper(?) or something in our injector cups,head gaskets and other things.

i would LOVE to run this coolant but i am scared to sacrifice durabilty.

just my opinion (its kinda like a butt hole we alll got one) so dont stand close or hold me to what i stated.

Rob

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have been using CAT Extended Life Coolant for several years and have not had a problem yet. I may someday but don't expect too. I just don't care to bother with the samples and such. You might read THIS it explains why ELC is not recommended in pre 99 engines. You might note though that the author states at the end "I do tread on the wild side myself and will make my next coolant change ELC's". This writeup tells all about other coolants and how to change and flush the system.

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Crumm

thats what i wanted to know. and kinda what i wanted to hear.

going to change my coolant in the spring and now im almost sure what i will use.

Rob

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Not so sure I would go with pond water. Before I started using the pre-mixed CAT coolant I mixed my own with distilled water.

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
coolant

What ever coolant you choose you should get the test strips and keep an eye on ph level and additive package. The coolant might still keep it from freezing but if its not protected for corosion you will plug the radiator and eat your block up from he inside out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14